Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone been wanting to see inside one of these?

I know what gears teh low range gears are, I just didn't know which gear was low and which gear was high..

Also, the powerflow in 4th gear is not straight through since 4th gear is not 1:1 like it is in a lot of 4 and 5 speeds, rather it is an overdrive gear. (4th is .9 something to 1 if I remember correctly)

Yes you can change the stub shafts to the smaller spline shafts from a non turbo diff but you have to have the tranny as far apart as the tranny pictured , do not remove or ajust the side ajusters DO NOT AJUST! unless you know how to reset the diff .

My fulltime tranny is almost that far apart now. What really kewl is that I know exactly how the center diff works and everything. It's really kewl to know that the difflock is a mechanical connection with the vacume canister drving a cable, do I can just put a cable into the vehicle it's going in to actuate it!

I wonder if we had all the parts in hand if we could find a way to put the LSD parts (not the whole diff) in the front diff, will the side gears and clutch packs from the rear fit in the front carrier? With mods to one part or the other?

Also, Adam, can you confirm the power flow of the full time trans with the diff lock engaged, does it lock front shaft to rear and bypass the diff gears?

Gary

Okay here is the labeled pic. If I mis-labeled anything, or I left something out, feel free to PM me. Once I am satisfied that I didn't screw anything up, I will re-do it without resizing it afterwards so it is more reasonable. Bear with me, it's been almost 3 years since I've had one of these suckers apart, and I am gonna be needin to tear my part-time turbo 5 speed dual range down to rebuild it. No I did not just mess up I do mean PART TIME dual range TURBO tranny :-)

As for the differential gears swapping, you cannot swap just the ring or just the pinion, they are a matched set and will chew each other up if swapped, especially between ratios. Since the pinion gear is part of the pinion shaft, about the onyl way to go would be to somehow cut the gear off one shaft and made it to another shaft...

inside_labeled.jpg

Hey RenaissanceMan

Since you have them apart… I’m wondering if the 5th gears are interchangeable between the FT and the PT 5 speed D/R trannies? I’m thinking that if I rebuild my RX tranny if might be nice to exchange the higher 0.780 from the PT for the 0.871 in there now. The EA81T easily has the power to pull it and it should be good for 2 or 3mpg out on the freeway.

I also assume that the D/R gears are interchangable, if someone wanted a lower "low" in there RX?

Gary

I received this PM from RenaissanceMan (I sent him a PM asking the Question).

well, lemmie go take a look..

*walks over into shop*

Well after looking at the gears, the answer is yes...

As for the low range, yes, those are also interchangable.

The basic transmission itself is all setup the same, the differences between the two are in the Tailhousing and countershaft for the most part.”

Now I’m wondering what its gonna cost me to go through my tranny (syncros, bearings, seals and gaskets), and where to get the parts. Anybody got a good source?

Gary