Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 dodge d50 (mitsubishie 2.6l) weber carb issue

i just bought this truck (third blue car ive bought in a row) and it has a weber carb on it with a redline adapter, it looks alot like the webers for our subarus, but i dont know carbs to well and am fighting a couple issues with it.

firstly it had a lot of vaccume leaks when the P.O. got it and they fixed them, but didn't readjust afterwards. so i fixed a couple more vaccum leaks and re adjusted the screw on the front of the carb (im unsure weather that is for the idle air or the fuel mixture) and since i couldn't find any sighns of a fuel air mixture (if that screw is the idle air like i thought) so thats all i did (by adjusting i mean i turned it down untill it stalled then backed it out a 1/4 turn)

secondly when i got it the air filter was very dirty and it was deisling on me (i readjusted the screw in the front with a clean filter). i found that the bowl seemed to be overflowing into the intake and making it deisle on me, so i got some carb cleaner and cleaned it out. cleaning it out worked for a while, but it came back with a vengence (this time it dang near blew my muffler out from the backfire) so i put a can of berrymans b12 chem tool (carb cleaner, almost identical to seafoam) in the tank with 5 gallons of gas and ran it through. the problem stilll persisted so i bought a K&N cleaning kit and cleaned the filter, filled it with regular w/berrymans again and got some berrymans spray carb cleaner and cleaned it out yet again and it smoothed out quite a bit.

thats everything i've done so far, but it still seems to be acting up, occasionaly it will stall when i let the clutch out (its only done this twice and just recently) mainlly its been deisling occasionally and if i turn it off for a few minuets and try to restart it acts like its flooded and i have to hold my foot to the floor as im cranking (clear flood prcedure) to get it to start.

i know there a few people on here that know webers well and this site seems to get quite a bit more traffic than the mitsubushi or dodge d50 sites get and i would appreciate any help on this.

Have you checked the timing?  If you post some pics we might be able to determine what kind of Weber you have if it isn't a standard DGV.  You might need to order an anti-dieseling solenoid.  They are optional on Webers for the most part, to my knowledge.

I would say get a definative on the carb then look into a rebuild  (or at least taken down and cleaned out well) You might also find a board member do it.. There are a few.  If it is still dieseling then the solenoid would be my next move but I think most if not all your problems may be in the carb itself.  

Mike

i was thinking about timing as well, but i cant get it idling smooth enough to get a light on it to set it. ill try and get some pics up of the carb, but i broke my only camera so it might take a little while to get it up. ill keep updates posted