Since I was a little kid (I'm talking like as far back as I can remember) my father has had a motorcycle frame sitting on a milk-crate with half a motor sitting in it. Parts for the bike were laying around here and there.
As I got older I learned that Dad had had that bike since the late 60's or early 70's and, at one point, it was all put together and he used to ride it.
That was all before I was born, and by the time I came around he must have decided to restore it a bit, so he stripped it down, sent off many of the metal parts to be chromed, and then kind of forgot about it for various reasons.
That was back in the early 90's.
Interest has been re-ignited now, and this thread is going to be used both to share the story and evolution of this project, as well as to document it and hopefully network with some people that could possibly help along in this endeavor either with good advice, motivation, and/or resources for parts, and also to possibly help somebody else that may be restoring a vintage Tiger, etc. (This thread is going to be posted here @ my native ultimatesubaru.org, but also is going to be posted at the classic subforums over at http://www.triumphra...tage-club-cafe/ )
Lots of pictures are to follow. Some parts we have multiples of and it will be mentioned if they are available for sale. Look closely at the descriptions if you see something interesting.
If replying please be careful not to quote an entire post. This will also quote all the pictures in the post and will cause this thread to turn into an endless mess of posts! Thank you!
Here is the current state of the bike
the frame is a 1955 Triumph T110 Tiger. It's a 650 CC bike. The fork is not the original Triumph fork, it was replaced with a Ceriani fork some time in the 70's.
The following photographs are of various serial numbers, identifying numbers/marking found on the frame of the bike;
Above photo is near where the seat would be mounted.
Above photo is the forward-most part of the frame, where the gas tank would mount.
The above photo is a number cast into the transmission. (These motorcycles have the motor and the transmission separate)
Above photo is cast into the bottom half of the motor. Piston is visible. Any help identifying the numbering scheme?
Above photo is number stamped into the rear swing-arm.
That concludes photographs of identifying marks on the frame and motor.
I'm going to start displaying all the pictures of most (most) of the parts we have amassed for the bike. Some of these parts are original parts my father has had in storage, many of the parts have been purchased online, some of them NOS, some of them used originals, and some of them are new reproduction.
If possible (or necessary) I will be giving a description/explanation of the parts under the photograph.
Far left is the matching Ceriani axle for the Ceriani fork. Middle is Triumph sleeve that fits into the Triumph front hub and far right is a Triumph spacer that fits into the hub and is a spacer for the bearings. Because the fork is a Ceriani fork but the original Triumph wheel is going to be used, the sleeve that slides over the axle is going to have to be machined slightly to fit. The Ceriani axle is thicker than the original Triumph axle.
Pictured above is a reproduction rear rim.
Detail shot of the inner portion of the above reproduction rim. It is very well made, high quality. Nice chrome.
The same rim. Made in England.
Drum plate for the front rim. This is an original part my father had in storage. It (and other parts you'll see that look like this) isn't dirty. It has been coated in turtle wax for 20+ years now immediately after being chromed.
Harley Davidson 1" handle-bars.
Two hubs for the rear rim. One hub (bottom) was purchased used to be fitted on the above aftermarket rear rim. The other hub (top) came with a rear drum assembly sort of as a gamble buy. We weren't sure the top hub was even correct for the bike until we saw the other hub and realized they are the same. This is good because the bottom hub purchased to be used is damaged (out of round and damaged threads) so the top hub will be used instead. That hub came from a dune bike in the desert out west and the bearings that were in it were completely cooked and seized. Thankfully the hub itself seems to be unscathed.
Same hubs. Different angle. Damaged hub with part # on the right. Desert hub that had seized bearings on the left.
They appear to be completely identical. If anybody knows otherwise, please reply.
Original cylinder head.
Original rocker boxes. Coated in wax 20+ years.
Edited by l75eya, 31 August 2013 - 04:23 PM.