Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old Skool Suby Find

So a friend of mine pulls into my driveway a and says "hey I found some really cool subies from the 70's not too far from your house." So I 'm thinking maybe some old wagons, or coupes maybe a FF1 if I'm really lucky.

I'm like "well lets go see them." So I grab my camera, and jump into his car. 5minutes later I'm looking at a Sambar, 2 360's, and 2 busses  :o

Needless to say my reaction was "Holy cow man." Just then the owner comes out. And I ask if its O.K. to take pics, and look at his cars. He says sure, and then goes into the history of them. 

He's had the white 360 since 68 and and said it was the family car, until he had their 3rd child. Then they got the van. The other 360 was purchased to be a parts car, as well as the van. He Got the Sambar in 1975 and drove it as his going back and forth work car, until about 8 years ago when the master cylinder went out, and has not been able to find parts. 

I asked if he would be interested in selling any of them. of course he told the a-typical story I have heard a thousand times. He is getting ready to retire from public utilities in 2 years (he's a mechanic there) and he wants to use the Sambar and white 360 as retirement projects. I says understand that. I asked a few more probing questions all the while slowly leaking out my knowledge of this gen of suby. He knew the Sambar is really hard to find, and is hanging on to it with clinched white knuckles. 

I asked if he had a computer so I could give him my e-mail address, and get him in contact with like minded Subaru collectors, and web sites he could possibly begin to start sourcing stuff for them. He said he has one at work but not home (ya he's real old school.) I shared my information with him, and also a lot of what I knew about the cars, and possible way to fix certain issues, he thanked me for the info, and said he would keep in touch if he had any questions, and that he'll definitely ask questions when the time comes...

I haven't hear from him yet (that was 2 months ago) but I have heard this song and dance too many times. I tried for 15 years to get a 69 camero, with a similar story, and eventually it sunk so far into the ground it was pointless, and then it was gone. But none the less I was able to make an initial contact, and I'll just keep popping in from time to time, and maybe some day when he realizes what he under took as a project is beginning to burn him out, and he would rather be fishing, I can show up with cash money in my hands and get that Sambar :wub:  

But in the mean time I figure I would share the pics with you all. 

Enjoy

CIMG2268_zpsdd9176b5.jpg

CIMG2269_zpsc37b8f8d.jpg

CIMG2270_zps1db51b7d.jpg

CIMG2271_zps65af52b7.jpg

CIMG2272_zps304a2353.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ya I know, but you how these kind of people are. Too much sentimental value, so they  never want to let them go, and yet will never do anything with them either. I have a feeling he will either get frustrated and burnt out when he realizes the undertaking it is going to be to finish, and may sell then. Or he may budge if cash money is flashed in front of his face. 

• 3 weeks later...