Ultimate Subaru Message Board

p0106 in subaru outback legacy 2.5L

just changed my right side head gasket put every thing together ,it took more then 4 month to do that because I didn't have time or place to do the job anyway, the car started rough high idle and I discovered a leak from the intake manifold gasket I changed the gasket but it got rougher the rpm goes to 3500 and then goes down till it dies and I got p0106 code need help please thanks

the 98 obw has a small hose (like windshield washer hose) with a filter inline that runs to the passenger strut.

it was originally run next to the large , 1 inch thik , hose that connected the IAC to the intake plastic plenum.

mine had a zip tie like hloder keeping the small hose in place with the larger one.

there are 2 items on the strut and there is a small hose that connects the two.

check those.

• Like 1

The code is being probably caused by a massive vacuum leak. Much larger than what the little hose to the MAP sensor could produce.

Possible the intake gaskets have not sealed properly. Did you replace both sides or just one?

Did you remove the fuel injectors from the manifold during disassembly? What about the throttle body?

Is the brake booster hose connected? Is the EGR pipe connected? Is the EGR valve gasket new?

Is the main ground point on the manifold clean and tight? Are the three plugs on the bellhousing fully engaged and have clean pins inside?

• Like 1

the 98 obw has a small hose (like windshield washer hose) with a filter inline that runs to the passenger strut.

it was originally run next to the large , 1 inch thik , hose that connected the IAC to the intake plastic plenum.

mine had a zip tie like hloder keeping the small hose in place with the larger one.

there are 2 items on the strut and there is a small hose that connects the two.

check those.

I checked them all seems ok but have a question there is t connector with 3 little tubes if I switched them accidentally would do that code? 

The code is being probably caused by a massive vacuum leak. Much larger than what the little hose to the MAP sensor could produce.

Possible the intake gaskets have not sealed properly. Did you replace both sides or just one?

Did you remove the fuel injectors from the manifold during disassembly? What about the throttle body?

Is the brake booster hose connected? Is the EGR pipe connected? Is the EGR valve gasket new?

Is the main ground point on the manifold clean and tight? Are the three plugs on the bellhousing fully engaged and have clean pins inside?

yes when I put every thing together and started the engine it was rough and I heard a loud sound of vacuum leak coming from the passenger side manifold so I turned off the engine and I pulled the small long vacuum tube from the sensor on the strut and bowled a cigarette smoke into it to see where it was leaking and a smoke came from the manifold gasket place so I changed the right one only after that only the engine start to die after may be 1 min from starting which didn't happen when there was a leak!!!  I didn't change the EGR gasket  I will check the  brake booster  and the EGR pipe and yes I did remove the fuel injectors from the manifold

Good chance the O-rings around the injectors are damaged and are leaking. They're tricky to reinstall without damaging the o-rings.

I will check those today, can I get the oil rings from AutoZone or I have to buy them from the dealer?  thank you guys for your advices

You may be able to find the small O rings at autozone or something, but I think the large o rings that fits into the manifold has to come from a dealer.

oh my god I took the two bolts that hold the injectors and I pulled them guess what one is missing and the other was crushed totally wasn't on place to begin with probably they fell out while I'm trying to put the injectors back I would never thought of that thanks fairtax4me,I will get them on Monday and see what happens  thanks again I will post what happened