Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Running solid rotors in place of vented rotors.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BratRod

BratRod

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Dallas, Texas

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

Is there any danger of running solid rotors in a vented rotor car? What are the differences between the two? (other than the vents)

#2 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

Well they are a completely different size (thickness) so it is not simply a matter of changing the rotors. You would also have to change the calipers and the caliper brackets.It would be far easier to get the correct rotors.

Edited by Leeroy, 03 September 2013 - 11:56 PM.

#3 BratRod

BratRod

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Dallas, Texas

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

I ordered them from rockauto, as an 85 brat. They came in as solid rotors. They appear to be the same size to me, and bolted up as such.

#4 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,975 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Solid rotors are thinner than vented ones.

Once the pads wear enough, you will most likely have one of the pads remove itself from the caliper during braking.

Had that happen to me. I was fortunate to be very near my driveway.

It is not advisable to put a solid rotor on in place of a vented one, unless you change the caliper and bracket.

#5 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 844 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

I ordered them from rockauto, as an 85 brat. They came in as solid rotors. They appear to be the same size to me, and bolted up as such.

RA has decent custom service.  The solid rotors were discontinued in '81 or '82, so there is no reason why you should have received them for an order for an '85 Brat.  The vented are superior to the solid rotors, so you don't want to downgrade.  I doubt the caliper piston for the vented rotors can compensate for the thinner solid rotor very well, so, as others have mentioned, you would really need to swap out calipers and brackets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users