Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil in coolant but no bubbles in overflow tank.

I bought a 2006 outback sohc in march and they did the HG's etc. Knowing the animal, i look in tje overflow tank regularly and recently noticed the oil line starting in the tank. They said just clean the tank out and refill it. There are no bubbles in the tank when at temp. The question is can oil get in the coolant if there isn't a big problem in the engine? And. Should i worry about this? Ive put about 6000 miles on it. Bought it at 94000 miles.

I'd clean it out like crazy and get new coolant/distilled water in there to have a clean starting point.

Does the vehicle have Subaru's required coolant conditioner?

Did they install it properly - shake the bottle vigorously and pour in the radiator?

Maybe they didn't shake the bottle - that'll leak little particle like weird things floating in there.  Supposed to shake it.

Automatics do have a transmission cooler passing through the side radiator tank, that is another area where oil can enter the coolant....but I've never really heard of that happening, they make that cooler copper/metal and it's submerged in a fluid where it won't corrode and yours is really new so hard to imagine that happening.

• Like 1

Was the coolant just dark colored or sorta grey-ish?

Oil will collect into drops and little pools and float on top of the coolant. It does not mix unless there is some serious agitation going on, but then it will be a nasty brown frothy layer (kinda like a wendys frosty) on top of the coolant. It will separate if left for a long enough period.

All ive Done so far is empty the overflow tank and refill with clean fluid. I used purple power to clean the tank and it was sparkling white so I have a good basis from which to observe. I'll watch it for a month and see what happens before I flush the entire system.