Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone swapped an EA81 into a '78?

Just wondered if it could be done without too much hassle,tired old 1600 in the wagon is starting to fail epically and have a low mileage EA81 1800 sat in the garage that i know is good...also have the gearbox to go with it but wondered wether length etc would affect it fitting.

If not itll be swapsied with the last 1600 lump i have that ive not heard running or anything,was pulled out of a rotten brat about a year ago :/

Want to get it winterproofed and capable as apparently we are in for a bad one this year.

Thankings :)

Yes i have ea81 into 78 wagon i used the 4 speed deul range took some shifter mods strut brace mods clutch cable carb hoses mounts worked rad works drive shaft works overall the car performed way better and had high low. Took me about 3 days work but i had whole engine and runing gear to work with. Also had my 81 brat with factory ea81 in old body to compare factory install to mine worked good

I did it in a 77 wagon, the driver's side half shaft housing will rub on the steering shaft although the amount that rubs is low enough that if you chucked the DOJ housing into a lathe and machined it down a bit it probably would not be a problem. If you can swap in the crossmember and steering rack out of an 81 Brat with the 1800 it's not an issue. 

For the shifter, the transmission has the bolt holes around where the shift linkage connects at the rear of the case (wish I had a 4 speed to take a pic of) I did have to space the bracket up off the trans with some washers for the lever to work. It would not clear the center console in the car, however I suppose if I had cut and rewelded the lever at an angle it would have cleared just fine.

I might be picking up an early 77 coupe (currently 2nd in line) and if I do it will most likely either get a built EA81 with EFI or an EJ18/EJ22 (haven't decided yet) although the 1600 that's in it has under 100k on it...

Brilliant,thanks guys   :)

I have a crossmember/rack out of a later model '84 hatchback which im assuming will go in with an EA81, do i keep the stock '78 box though? or is it the box out of a later model gen 2you speak of having to space the lever out on?

As for gearboxes I have a very late '80 gen 1 box with Hi/Lo transfer box on it,the box thats in my wagon at the mo is just 2wd/4wd,and it is knackered as it wont stay in 4wd for long....i also have an '89 gen 2 brat box with Hi/Lo ratio transfer and also if i really need it an '84 hatchback with a 2wd/4wd box in....just wondered which would be the most straighforward to put in without too much modding with regards to propshafts etc....  :/  

(i have a '78 coupe sat here waiting a new home if you fancy hiring a container lol   :P )

Edited by petey

• 2 weeks later...

with both of mine i kept the ea71 cross members and support beam just drilled the motor mount brackets 1'' forward as the engine is 1'' wider and 1'' longer and put washers  between tranny mounts cuz it hit a little. its all in adjusting thestabilizer on the top of the engine to get the best steering shaft clearance.

I also ground the bell housing down about a half inch where the bottom left engine bolt is and shortened the stud.....fits like a glove.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After having a long overdue clear out of the garage I realise I have a complete ea81 engine and the 4wd hi/lo box it was mated to that I pulled out of a rusty 1980 gen 1 brat some time ago.....how do you guys reckon this will slot into the wagon? I'm assuming it was standard fit as it doesn't look messed around with,stood it next to the gen2 trans I have and the mountings etc are different so it's hopeful,I'm just wondering if the wagon/brat used the same box prop shaft etc......might sound daft me asking on here but car is away in storage ATM so can't get to it to measure up........

• 3 weeks later...

wagon is the same under as a brat...the whole set-up will work fine with the exception of a longer clutch cable and mods to the 4wd shifting system.. just re-drill the motor mounts about 3/4 in forward and shim the trannt mounts up about 3/8in to prevent tranny bottoming out on crossmember

..i also ran into some problems with cv axles and resolved it by using the deper trans-axle cups from and 80s soob with the original axle shafts... boots were a pain as not much steering shaft to clamp clearance...hence the upper anti pitchbar adjustments to clear it and grinding the bell housing.