Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Squealing sound...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 414WRX

414WRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Milwaukee, WI

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

I just bought a 2002 Impreza WRX wagon, manual transmision, today after sitting in the drive all day it is making this squealing sound. It is the worst right when you start up and are taking off in 1st, after that it seems to come and go at varying volumes. Coming to a complete stop and taking off again does not seem to make it act up again but it can be heard through all different RPMs and in all gears up through 4th, (driving it in the city, didnt get up to 5th gear speeds, not sure if sound will continue). It does not seem to be specifically when releasing the clutch accelerating or turning, its just kinda always there.

I am mechanically inclined but I have never worked on cars before. I would guess, start by checking all the fluid levels, but after that I am at a loss.

#2 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Have you inspected the belts?  Does it increase in noise with RPM?  Is it with the A/C on/off?  

#3 414WRX

414WRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Milwaukee, WI

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Havent checked the belts and didnt even think about with or without AC. Took it out with AC off and no squeal at all. Does that mean there is a bad belt that needs replacing?

#4 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,568 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

A while back I had squealing on start-up and, IIRC, when engaging the AC.  Checked the belt--it was in good shape, tension was fine.  But I decided to take the tensioner mechanism off and check the idler pulley.  Turns out the pulley mount had gotten slightly cockeyed--the axis of the pulley wasn't exactly perpendicular to the belt!

Cleaned it up, remounted it, adjusted the tension and it's been running quietly ever since!

Hope this helps.  Good luck to you.

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,423 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

I would suggest adjusting the alternator/ps belt. It will stretch over time ans squeal, especially when cold start u, and subside after warm up. IF too tight, you may get a rhythmic chirping sound.

There is an adjust ment bolt for the pulley, but DON"T FORGET to loosen the 12mm nut on the center of the pulley so that it can ride up and down. otherwise you will break the adjuster!!

#6 Downbound

Downbound

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Merrickville, Ontario

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Had the same problem with my forester, Ac idler pulley....

#7 414WRX

414WRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Milwaukee, WI

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

Belts and pulley all look to be in good condition, not sure how much tension the belt should be under but it seems fine. It is tight but has some give when you push on it. Looks like I will be taking it apart and checking that it isnt cocked at all, cleaning it up and hoping for the best. This seems like a nice easy project for my first endeavor into car maintenance!

Any suggestions on cleaners or lubricants? 

Thanks for the help!

#8 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,423 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

The belt should have about 1/4" deflection when you push on it. Inspect the inside of the belt for glazing(shiny). It might just be due for replacement from use and mileage.

#9 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • Central Wisconsin

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

The belt should have about 1/4" deflection when you push on it. Inspect the inside of the belt for glazing(shiny). It might just be due for replacement from use and mileage.

+1 - and look for cracks too - cracked and/or shiny belt = needs replacing.

#10 414WRX

414WRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Milwaukee, WI

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

I guess maybe I was checking tension in the wrong spot. OK, Im gonna apologize in advance for not just knowing the proper names for all the pulleys. Anyway, initially I checked the vertical part of the belt running from the tensioner up to the big pulley, here I got about 1/4" deflection, but after looking up some images on google it seems that tension should be checked on the more horizontal part of the belt running between the 2 big pulleys. The span between the pulleys is longer here, and I get closer to 1/2".

As for shine or cracks on the belt, I cant find any. 

Edited by 414WRX, 07 September 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#11 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

Try flipping the belt so that what was the side facing the back of the car becomes the side facing the front of the car.

The good news is that it doesn't seem to be a major headache for your new purchase.

Edited by brus brother, 07 September 2013 - 11:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users