Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a 2002 Impreza WRX wagon, manual transmision, today after sitting in the drive all day it is making this squealing sound. It is the worst right when you start up and are taking off in 1st, after that it seems to come and go at varying volumes. Coming to a complete stop and taking off again does not seem to make it act up again but it can be heard through all different RPMs and in all gears up through 4th, (driving it in the city, didnt get up to 5th gear speeds, not sure if sound will continue). It does not seem to be specifically when releasing the clutch accelerating or turning, its just kinda always there.

I am mechanically inclined but I have never worked on cars before. I would guess, start by checking all the fluid levels, but after that I am at a loss.

A while back I had squealing on start-up and, IIRC, when engaging the AC.  Checked the belt--it was in good shape, tension was fine.  But I decided to take the tensioner mechanism off and check the idler pulley.  Turns out the pulley mount had gotten slightly cockeyed--the axis of the pulley wasn't exactly perpendicular to the belt!

Cleaned it up, remounted it, adjusted the tension and it's been running quietly ever since!

Hope this helps.  Good luck to you.

I would suggest adjusting the alternator/ps belt. It will stretch over time ans squeal, especially when cold start u, and subside after warm up. IF too tight, you may get a rhythmic chirping sound.

There is an adjust ment bolt for the pulley, but DON"T FORGET to loosen the 12mm nut on the center of the pulley so that it can ride up and down. otherwise you will break the adjuster!!

Belts and pulley all look to be in good condition, not sure how much tension the belt should be under but it seems fine. It is tight but has some give when you push on it. Looks like I will be taking it apart and checking that it isnt cocked at all, cleaning it up and hoping for the best. This seems like a nice easy project for my first endeavor into car maintenance!

Any suggestions on cleaners or lubricants? 

Thanks for the help!

I guess maybe I was checking tension in the wrong spot. OK, Im gonna apologize in advance for not just knowing the proper names for all the pulleys. Anyway, initially I checked the vertical part of the belt running from the tensioner up to the big pulley, here I got about 1/4" deflection, but after looking up some images on google it seems that tension should be checked on the more horizontal part of the belt running between the 2 big pulleys. The span between the pulleys is longer here, and I get closer to 1/2".

As for shine or cracks on the belt, I cant find any. 

Edited by 414WRX