Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1988 EA82 SPFI Running Lean

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

My 88 GL Wagon has some fuel system issues, and hesitates and drops in rom under load, especially when the engine is cold. I replaced the fuel filter, which seemed to help, but after I ran the car out of gas the other day it got worse again, and replacing the filter again didn't help. I replaced the spark plugs today and they are all white, powdery, and burnt,so the car is clearly running lean. Most of my experience is with carbureted engines, so I was hoping you guys had some good tips for where to start on figuring this out.

#2 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,818 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Fuel pressure check

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,420 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

week injector?

#4 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'm thinking it's possible that I sucked up some gunk or dirt out of the tank when I ran it dry, and that that's impeding the fuel flow, I'll rent a pressure gauge and check it out later today. I hope it's not the fuel pump, that's the one part that's broken on my parts loyale.

#5 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Maybe your fuel injector is gunked up and dirty. Try cleaning the injector.

#6 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Are fuel system cleaners like seafoam and the like actually any good, or would I need to pull the injector and clean it outside of the car?

#7 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

seafoam is a good product, cleaning the injector out of car wasnt very easy for me, so I swapped out the tb. I would also check your cts for bog out issues

#8 alaskaloyale

alaskaloyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

Pardon my ignorance, what is the cts? I tried googling it but all I find is a million pages about Cadillacs.

#9 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Seafoam wouldn't hurt. Give it a shot! Dunno about cts above, memory fails me. Most likely some type of sensor.

#10 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

coolant temp sensor. it effects your IAC (idle air control) valve and can wreak havoc on drivability. its up by the tstat

#11 tweety

tweety

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Euroa Victoria Australia

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

For what its worth just like to mention that this forum has been fantastic.  Newby to SPFI with my trike and you guys have helped me understand this system with your knowledge. - great!

Edited by tweety, 08 September 2013 - 12:25 AM.

#12 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Metered-air leak (vacuum leak or leak in the boot between MAF and throttle body)?

In my (limited) experience, CTS issues either throw check-engine codes (open-circuit or too much resistance) or make the engine run richer.  Typical failure mode is corroded connectors and wires.

Running out of gas should not make any difference regarding crud:  The tank's fuel outlet is fixed and located at a the bottom of the tank, so any crud would find itself there even with a full tank.  (Except for ping-pong balls.)

#13 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Intake manifold gasket failures are pretty common for these models. Use some WD-40 around the gasket seal while the engine is running to see if that shows a air leak up by changes in the engine speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users