Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 EA82 SPFI Running Lean

My 88 GL Wagon has some fuel system issues, and hesitates and drops in rom under load, especially when the engine is cold. I replaced the fuel filter, which seemed to help, but after I ran the car out of gas the other day it got worse again, and replacing the filter again didn't help. I replaced the spark plugs today and they are all white, powdery, and burnt,so the car is clearly running lean. Most of my experience is with carbureted engines, so I was hoping you guys had some good tips for where to start on figuring this out.

• Like 1

Metered-air leak (vacuum leak or leak in the boot between MAF and throttle body)?

In my (limited) experience, CTS issues either throw check-engine codes (open-circuit or too much resistance) or make the engine run richer.  Typical failure mode is corroded connectors and wires.

Running out of gas should not make any difference regarding crud:  The tank's fuel outlet is fixed and located at a the bottom of the tank, so any crud would find itself there even with a full tank.  (Except for ping-pong balls.)