Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Frankenmotor Compression Ratio with Piston Comparison

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,939 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Attaching a photo of 4 different EJ25 Piston options we have here at the shop.  All of them would obviously have their benefits and are doable but wondering what compression ratios these would make with 1996 EJ22 Single port heads that the owner of the car has available to him and an accompanying harness and intake manifold make that choice rather easy.  We could switch to dual port heads and swap the front of the ypipe but would rather not as a cost measure.

PIstons shown:

1996 EJ25D

1997 EJ25 D single dot 

2004 Subaru Baja Turbo (ej255 I believe)

2004 Ej253 2 dot (sohc piston)

I could also go for a 2006 Ej25 sohc piston set we have around here that looks even higher compression visually to me than the 2004 model.

Does anybody know what the compression of the engine would be with these types of pistons?  Fuel requirements at altitude?

The engine will be going into a 1984 Subaru Brat with a dual range ea trans so keeping the power reasonable is necessary with the clutch/trans.

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,409 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

If you are using a 25d block/crank, then

I'd use the 96 or 97 25d pistons.

The Turbo ones will yeild lower compression.  But may come proud out of the block when used with the 25d rods.  Would need a thick headgasket so lower comp still.

The 06 sohc pistons will not work with the 2.2 heads.  They have a semi dome section that protrudes into the heads on the Variable lift engines.

If you are using a 251-3 block/crank, you could use the 04 SOHC pistons.

#3 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,939 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

We are using the block and crank from a 2001 RS to have the larger rod bearings and #5 rod journal.  

#4 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,368 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

The extreme dome pistons in the 06 era engine won't even clear the huge combustion chamber of the 96 ej25 heads. iI know it's not relevant to what you're doing, but it can't hurt to have the info out here somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users