Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I put a '95 2.2 into a 2000 that originally had a 2.5?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1997reduxe

1997reduxe

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • Houston

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

[IGNORE THIS POST!!!]

Hey all.

I found a 2000 legacy that has a bad 2.5 engine. The guy says the shop they took it to

sent it to a machine shop, and they said it has a spun bearing. But whatever, the engine is no longer in the car,

don't know yet if it's even still available. Both cars, my present one and the one i'm looking at, are automatics.

But I was wondering if it would be a big deal matchingwise to put the 2.2 from my 95 Legacy into this other car?

My car is pretty much to the point where I don't want to put any more money into it, but I did have the engine

serviced noit too long ago with timing belt etc and it is the one thing, other than the trans, that still has no

problems on the car, other than an oil leak i have yet to track down.

Is this a possible switch with not too much trouble?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Edited by 1997reduxe, 08 September 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#2 1997reduxe

1997reduxe

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • Houston

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

On second thought, by now I'vge had a little time to search around and found out what a big hassle this would be.

Cancelling my request for info.

Will look for a similar engine to the one in the car if I do buy it.

Thanks a lot anyways.

Dan

#3 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

On second thought, by now I'vge had a little time to search around and found out what a big hassle this would be.

Cancelling my request for info.

Will look for a similar engine to the one in the car if I do buy it.

Thanks a lot anyways.

Dan

Yea, you have read correctly. The 95 is gen 1, while the 2000 is gen 2, so it is a concompatible match. Do a search here. I have read what gen 2 model years will fit your car's wiring harness on posts here.

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,006 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Looks like you already figured it out, but right, that would probably be a major project. Just one of the issues is that the 2000 2.5 had the speed density based airflow measurement whereas the 95 2.2L was MAF based.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users