Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing screw up--need help

2009 Forester SOHC 2.5 engine   automatic

I was trying to do the 105,000 service on my car this weekend--new timing belt, pulleys, etc...  I have 116,000 miles.

All was going well, until i screwed up.  I was removing the drivers side cam pulley to access the piece behind it so I could remove/replace the water pump.  (yes, the 2009 has a plastic plate that gets in the way of the water pump--early models do not have.)

My helper was holding the drivers side cam with a cam pulley holder tool, but let it slip as I tried to remove the bolt.   The cam was turned to the left--the wrong direction--about to the 10 oclock position from the verticle it should have been.

I got everything lined back up properly.  the timing marks on the crank and both cams all line up properly when I hand rotate the crank after the new belt was installed.    it all looks great --except for the fact that the car does not run well now..    the timing is screwed up., or something more sinister.  I am afraid to ask.

I am stuck.  I was told if I go back in, remove the timing belt and hand rotate the drivers side cam a full rotation it would get everything back lined up and it may solve my problem. 

I need thoughts.   I need this car and cannot afford to take it to a repair shop.

Thanks for your input

Edited by slydog39

if the crank was at the timing mark (not the triangle/arrow - never the arrow) then there's no way the valves can hit the pistons.

But, if the arrow was at 12 or 6 o'clock, then you could have bent a coupla valves. A compression or leakdown test should confirm.

look for any hoses that didn't get put back on or have slipped off. Especially the IACv one that goes underneath the intake.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Did you use the dash marks? Arrows only indicate TDC and can't be used for setting the timing belt because of the way the cams are loaded at TDC.

The drivers side cam is loaded when at the proper timing position, but it will sit in one place on its own if positioned properly. If it slips either way, the valves that are open (valve spring pressure loads the cam lobes) will just close.

More than likely the timing belt is off a tooth on one side or the other.

Remove the side covers and compare marks side to side.

Thanks for the replies.   I did uset he proper marks--not the arrows--so my crank was always at 12oclock.  

If the belt was off by a tooth, it would seem that when I hand cranked it  to test (or ran it for a minute) that the cam marks would have not been aligned, but they are.

In any case, I am goingt o tear it down again this morning and remove the belt, and re-install.  this time I will count the teeth between the positions--should be 43.5 on drivers side and 47 on the passengers if I have the rigth information

Edited by slydog39

Have had a bunch of timing belts that the mark was just slightly off on the ds cam the line was just off enuff that you cant tell witch side of mark the line should be on is a PIA had to take old subaru belt and compare marks to set belt right was half a tooth off i belive the line should be on the right side of the mark on cam