Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buggy pics

I finished the tail lights on the buggy, sadly I was unable to re-use my old hatch tail lights:-\ .

I ended up using Semi trailer lights. I think the tail lights look like some sort of amusement park ride.:grin:

I also took a close up pic of my Tires! Them-r-tires!

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo21/cap_042304_083943_29_1

The last pic is of my poor yellow Hatch going for it's final ride!:dead:

Sniff! Sniff!

It likes it's new body much better!:burnout:

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

that thing is sweet!

the tail lights are cool... gives it a good look..

it looks like one of those rhino buggies from australia... an i right???

i was looking into getting one... well looking into how much fun it would be to have one. i just don't have the extra $2500 or whatever it is...

if it is one of those rhino buggies did you just buy the plan or the whole frame???

have fun with it!

Its a Rhino!

The plans cost $50.00 US. I modified the plans to look more like a Scorpion.

http://www.scorpion4x4.com/

I have a little less than $500 in steel tubing. A little more than $500 in aluminum plating. The Custom rims set me back about $80/ea. The nice thing about building is you can "pay as you go" so it doesn't hurt that much.

My old hatch was too rusty on the bottom side to lift and the motor and drive train were too good to part with. Rhinoing it made sence.

I'm headed to DMV to convince them that it's still a 82 Subaru Hatchback? If I'm successful they will issue me an Off-Road title "for a Subaru"? That would be a first.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I am jealous, not the kind of jealous that i'm gonna find where you live and take your awesome creation, but more like i'm gonna find where you live so i can see it in person, and then try to make on like it. that this is too sweet, i applaud your craftsmanship and style, those rear lights are way neato.

I had some friends at RockLogic 4X4 bend the tube.

http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/ <--Got to pimp them, they were great!

I looked at a couple of cheap benders, including Harbor Freights, but I didn't think I could get the quality of bend that I wanted with any bender I could afford.

I'm looking forward to actually using it? I have the rear seats and the dash area to finish up then she will be out on her inaugural voyage! Gettin hard to wait......

If your in, or traveling through Utah stop by!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer, may end up being registered as a 2004 RhinoBuggy.

01 Subaru, registered as a Subaru.

First off...Incredible piece of work! :slobber:

I've never thought of a Subaru as the base for a "kit-car type" super-creation before. Did/Are you keeping a log of your progress in pictures and costs (misc custom changes, etc.)?

I'd love to hear how it drives...

Secondly, I checked out the rocklogic4x4 link, and thought the sandstone in the pic on the front home page with the blue jeep was a little familiar...Properties confirmed my suspicions...That's one of many Rock crawling events held about 2 miles from my house in Farmington New Mexico. Of course, I've left plenty of my own Subaru tire marks on that same kinda rock.;)

The stomping grounds for my '84 GL Wagon...

Drove it around last night. It vibrates on the asphault! You have to get going over 5 mph or it klunks because the lugs are so deep on the tires.:lol: I'm keeping a timelapse record of my progress on the reader ride section under Sweet82. It's not perfect but it does have the basic build record.

I had never thought of a Subaru as a kit platform either? However it does make sence. You have a RELIABLE vehicle with 4WD and a LOW RANGE and all for a purchase price of $200-500. Add all these things up and you have a great starting point for an off-road vehicle. Just like the VWs it has a horizontally opposed 4.

I have a bunch of modifications from the AZ plans. 1st I lowered the front of the hood 8" for better visibility. Next I made it a 4 seater. Then I incorporated a roof rack/roll bar for the back end. To finish I added rock sliders and drink holders! If I ever did it again I'd make even more changes to the original plans.

As for WCSS6 I am logistically challenged! I'd love to go but have no way to get there. My trailer (Home Depot) won't haul the buggy and my Trooper is a 4 banger!, I have no tow rig. However if anyone is passing through SLC with trailer space???