Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How dom I reset ERG dash light that pops on every 60,000 miles?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chipmunk34

chipmunk34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • denver co

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

I have an 85 Subaru GL Wagon.  Recently the EGR Light came on at exactly 180,000 miles.

There is a way to reset it, Can anyone explain how?

Edited by chipmunk34, 09 September 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,125 posts
  • WA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Should be a 1 wire connector under the dash on the left side of the steering column.

Black plug and it should be connected or disconnected to reset. 

#3 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

If it stays on, you should be attempting to read the trouble code on the hidden computer above your knees. And do it before you turn off the engine. I was not aware of any red dash light that comes on automatically at any particular mileage, without there being some kind of issue. I have an 86.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,500 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

I had taken a speedo apart for an 85/86 instrument, and there is a little switch built into the speedo head that trips the light after so many 30 or 60 thousand miles. I suppose it is possible to disable this feature.

#5 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,125 posts
  • WA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

If it stays on, you should be attempting to read the trouble code on the hidden computer above your knees. And do it before you turn off the engine. I was not aware of any red dash light that comes on automatically at any particular mileage, without there being some kind of issue. I have an 86.

Some early carbed EA82's will have just a EGR system and not a ECS. 

I may be wrong on the color of the plug, it could be blue.

But if you search the forums, you will find info about it.

http://www.ultimates...reset-question/

http://www.ultimates...reset-question/

http://www.ultimates...2527-egr-light/

#6 chipmunk34

chipmunk34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • denver co

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

SUCCESS!!! Problem solved!!!

Thank you TURBONE for the links you sent me.  In order to reset the EGR light on your dash, I went above the fuse box

way up there, there is a blue wire connected. Right next to it is a green wire dangling (Of the same size).  I simply disconnected the blue wire

then plugged in the green wire.  Put everything back together and the EGR light was off!  By plugging in the green wire I reset

the EGR light to turn on in another 60,000 miles from now.  Very little room to reach in  up there though...But it's fixed!!!

This also fixed my fuse short as well :D  :D  :D 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users