Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cracked dash repair howto guide

Stumbled across this while searching for dash repair info, it's from a BMW forum but would apply to the older gen cars as well since they're similar in construction. I'm going to give it a try with my 68 Polara at some point LOL

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1865940-DIY-Cracked-Dashboard-Repair-Pic-Heavy

(If you're on dialup, click the link and go make a sandwich lol)

• Like 1

I did something similar to that with my ea81. I used high quality spray foam for insolation for filler as my foam had cracked pretty badly, and then used some fiber glass over that and a small amount of bondo to smooth it. The problem with this is the old vinyl is very brittle. My dash has re-cracked right next to the areas I repaired last year due to the vinyl shrinking away from the fiber glass. I think in order to keep it from cracking the old vinyl would have to be removed completely. Maybe the method used above would work better with plastic welding, but I'm not convinced that it would. I will say the flocking I used looks, and functions great! 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/121769-1984-gl-wagon-fwd-build/page-3

i've read that you can rejuvenate old brittle vinyl with transmission fluid to make it soft again

I've also heard you can coat it with vaseline and let it sit and absorb into the plastic... Also works for weather cracked tires from what I've heard, doesn't "fix" the cracks but keeps them from getting worse.