Ultimate Subaru Message Board

N/A ea82 92 Loyale swap to ea82t! Help!

nwsubi

So heres the skinny...

I've had my subi loyale 4wd wagon for years now and its getting to the 300k range soon. Then my head gasket went out on my ea82 non turbo.

So! I picked up a whole ea82t out of a 88 gl Wagon. Compete with motor harness, ECM, wiring to the dash, and down pipe for the turbo.

I know my crossmember must be modified to fit the turbo.

Im sure I must switch out my ECM, but can I just unplug my ECM and plug in the ECM for the turbo motor and use my existing wiring harness and connect the motors harness to it?

The harness that came with the motor is to an electronic dash and mine is the analog style.

I read that my fuel pump isn't powerful enough as it doesnt have enough psi. That I should get an inline pump.

But does that mean I need to remove my original fuel pump all together? Or can I do this down the road?

Has anybody reading this done this mod? Or known of someone doing this mod that has some pointers that could help a greenhorn conversion guy like me?

Any info is greatly appreciated, btw, I've been reading this forum for a while now and this is my first official post and I'm proud to be a part of this now!

Thanks!

lots o work make harness stand alone change pump use a cis volkswagon remote pump or subaru turbo one bitt of wire harness mods and make xmember fitt try a 1/2 spacer under the motor mounts might give you enuff a bitt of hamering should give you the rest. Somone on here was selling a 2.2 with harness is way better way to go and makes more power

Yes of course, I'm considering after an intercooler I will get a double row radiator. I'm keeping it mostly stock. But I'm trying to make it as efficient and cool as possible. Cold air Intake or snorkel, IC, radiator, light weight fan and power pullies, upgraded ignition sy

There is one extra line on teh evap canister.

Otherwise fuel system is the same except Turbo MPFI cars have slightly larger supply line.

You can leave the fuel system as is.

HOnestly though this will be alot of work for not much improvement, and the turbo motor WILL crap out sometime, likely sooner than later.

Save up and do an EJ22 swap for the same work/time effort.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I want to do this as more of a learning tool than anything. I was presented with an opportunity to buy both an ea82t or the ej22 and the ej22 didn't work out so i went with the ea82t. I'm a tech so rebuilding this stuff is quite fun for me and I have other modes of transportation. I just want to try this swap. One day I'll try the ej22 and some day I'll want the ej25t. Lol I still need to figure out the wiring and it came with a factory boost controller. Is this manual or what?