Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody own a 2003 Leagcy GT Wagon with a TURBO ? How is it ?

Hi !
My '01 Legacy GT Wagon just got totaled , I got rear ended. I'm ok, little ache , passenger is worse. 

Anyhow.

There is a 2003 GT WGN with a manual (I want one ) but it has a TURBO! I've heard nothing good about a Subee Turbo! As in WHEN they blow up, the shrapnel gets sucked via the oil lines and eventually blows up the engine too ! Don't know how much truth there is to that !  

I'de like to know about when do these Turbo's blow up ?

Does it cost more to insure then because they do have a Turbos, or is that in the bad old days ?

The one in my area has had the heads done , the belt and water pump and he says the clutch is still good.

MANY THANKS, SubeeTed !

That's right; the Outback 2.5XT and the Legacy GT with a turbo first appeared here as a 2005 model.  My wife drives one of the latter.  Bought used, 190,000 miles now, never a problem with the turbo or the engine (and both are original), and pretty close to zero oil consumption.  If you want one of these, go for it--but a known maintenance history, with those all-important 3,750-mile synthetic oil changes, is very important unless you want to factor in the cost of a new turbo (at least).

Have six blowup late model turbos the screen in the oil feed line plugs and turbo looses oil preshure if the Oil pu tube in the pan dosent kill it first the engines were good the extra stuff they added not so good. If i bought one first step change oil pu in pan 2nd step remove or upgrade sceen to turbo oil feed line then it should be at least reliabble. Seems to be more of a problem for 06-09 turbo cars

I did ask the question here " what year did Turbo's start US" , and I was told 2005 .

that question should be, when did the turbo RE-start in us cars?

there were turbos in the late 80s and in the early 90s.

but for the most part there were not any 95 - 04.

of course , do not know anything about the WRX, and they could have had turbos every year for all i know.