Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody own a 2003 Leagcy GT Wagon with a TURBO ? How is it ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SubeeTed

SubeeTed

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • mass

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hi !
My '01 Legacy GT Wagon just got totaled , I got rear ended. I'm ok, little ache , passenger is worse. 

Anyhow.

There is a 2003 GT WGN with a manual (I want one ) but it has a TURBO! I've heard nothing good about a Subee Turbo! As in WHEN they blow up, the shrapnel gets sucked via the oil lines and eventually blows up the engine too ! Don't know how much truth there is to that !  

I'de like to know about when do these Turbo's blow up ?

Does it cost more to insure then because they do have a Turbos, or is that in the bad old days ?

The one in my area has had the heads done , the belt and water pump and he says the clutch is still good.

MANY THANKS, SubeeTed !

#2 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,533 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

Your location says mass, is that Massachusetts? Because in the US there was never an 03 (legacy/outback) with a turbo unless it was swapped, then no. Don't.

#3 SubeeTed

SubeeTed

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • mass

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

Hi 987687.

I did ask the question here " what year did Turbo's start US" , and I was told 2005 . So this car doesn't make an sense !

THANKS !

#4 Blue Whale

Blue Whale

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:07 AM

That's right; the Outback 2.5XT and the Legacy GT with a turbo first appeared here as a 2005 model.  My wife drives one of the latter.  Bought used, 190,000 miles now, never a problem with the turbo or the engine (and both are original), and pretty close to zero oil consumption.  If you want one of these, go for it--but a known maintenance history, with those all-important 3,750-mile synthetic oil changes, is very important unless you want to factor in the cost of a new turbo (at least).

#5 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Maybe a nice car, but it needs to be sorted out, how could it have a turbo, when 2003 was not a year that turbo was offered. Was motor swapped in, or is the car year wrong, or maybe there is no turbo, but seller thinks it has a turbo??  Let the truth be known.

#6 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Have six blowup late model turbos the screen in the oil feed line plugs and turbo looses oil preshure if the Oil pu tube in the pan dosent kill it first the engines were good the extra stuff they added not so good. If i bought one first step change oil pu in pan 2nd step remove or upgrade sceen to turbo oil feed line then it should be at least reliabble. Seems to be more of a problem for 06-09 turbo cars

#7 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,210 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I did ask the question here " what year did Turbo's start US" , and I was told 2005 .

that question should be, when did the turbo RE-start in us cars?

there were turbos in the late 80s and in the early 90s.

but for the most part there were not any 95 - 04.

of course , do not know anything about the WRX, and they could have had turbos every year for all i know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users