Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 brat exhaust

Timber

Only just fitted the Y pipe of an EA82 onto my Brumby EA81. The pipe ID of original is 38mm, the EA82 L Series is 44mm. I now get crisper low end acceleration, improved drivability and still a quiet exhaust as the rar section is all still genuine.

The difference is really noticeable with ` 300kg trailer on the back which used to stifle things, now, it is almost as if the trailer is not there ! That much difference to my 30,000km old 40 thou rebore rebuild with 20/60 cam and LPG as the fuel - propane

• Like 1

The Y pipes are interchangeable between the two.  Where the real hold up as ar as I can tell anyway is at the rear muffler section after the last exhaust donut the tubing is smaller.  That unless modding the motor is the only part I would mess with an forward from there.  I would love to go 2' as Skishop said just for more muffler options.

Edited by Mykeys Toy

On my former coupe i had a muffler shop custom fab me a 2" exhaust from the heads all the way to the tail pipe.  I may have gained a few hp in that but i really did it because i was tired of replacing rusted out exhaust every year.  I went with a full Stainless exhaust and didnt look back.  Magnaflow muffler out back too really gave the car a good tone.  Ask Beechbm69 what he thinks of it since its his car now lol.  

• Like 1

On my former coupe i had a muffler shop custom fab me a 2" exhaust from the heads all the way to the tail pipe.  I may have gained a few hp in that but i really did it because i was tired of replacing rusted out exhaust every year.  I went with a full Stainless exhaust and didnt look back.  Magnaflow muffler out back too really gave the car a good tone.  Ask Beechbm69 what he thinks of it since its his car now lol.  

I liked it so much I did the same thing to my hatch with a similarly pleasant result :-)

Dan

Yeah, what I did sort of baffles me as to how it gives what it does. It was a direct bolt up at both ends - flange and heads !

Pretty stunning that Fuji did not do something quirky so as not to allow interchangeability. What it did do was push the rear section back a little, stressing th hanger rubbers of the genuine rear section/ I am yet to custom fabricate its hanger bracket from the gearbox to rear of Y pipe - they don't mate up.

Feels noticeably more responsive starting with light throttle, also with a 300kg trailer, almost don't feel it is there !

Retaining the rear factory section, did not even measure it. Though at low idle revs tail pipe can be heard to sputter, fixed that on another by fitting 2" from back of Y pipe. No money for this unnecessary mod at the moment. I am happy - Feels like I imagine an EJ would feel like :)