Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is the 4eat's Housing made from? Aluminum or Magnesium?

First off Ive owned 4 subarus, love them! Matter of fact I just convinced my gf to get a forester over a Ford Escape.

Anyways, I have this '96 2.2 legacy parts car lying around, no engine, interior stripped and its going to the scrap yard this weekend.

I want to know what the transmission housing is made from. Is it aluminum or Magnesium? Or a mix? If a mix, what mix?

Basically Im pondering on whether its worth cutting the tranny out and scrapping it separately.

Also if anybody knows what the factory alloy wheels are made from that would be helpful too, the five spoke ones.

Thanks in advance guys.

And if anyone lives in the NH area and needs an automatic tranny that works great, let me know, just have to take it before saturday.

If you tear it down and remove all of the steel parts from the case you can usually get more. I'd certainly put it on craigslist though since it still works. Put the wheels on there too. Even if you only get $50 for them that's better than what the scrap yard wil give you.

Edited by Fairtax4me

• 2 weeks later...

This reminds me my 5MT that went out.. 2 years later it's still on the basement floor opened up.. I need to get rid of it since I'm going to be bringing another in but this time hopefully the yard transmission wont snap the damn bolt for the rear center diff housing.

For some reason I left my car jacked up on one side for 24 hours  later went to lower it and drive it and it started howling.. and still does to this day with what seems like a lot of internal play.. It's been good so far but I plan to change it out again maybe in Feb and this time throw in a front LSD.