Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

hooked battery up backwards on jump start

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,635 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

Heres the deal, on a 89 EA82 it had been sitting and the batterys dead, I jump started it  and it ran good, shut it off, battery wont hold a charge ,with key off I go to jump it again but hook up the jumper cables backwards, the clamp made a good spark, I realized what I did and unhooked it, it was only like 3 seconds, now I hook it up correct and nothing works, it wont turn over theres no power to do the power windows, so what should I do? what did I ruin?

#2 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  • KY

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

Check fusible links and fuses. 

#3 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

+1 fusible links

#4 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Years ago I did this to my RX.

Besides frying some of the fusible links, I borked a few gauges in the inst panel.

#5 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

+1 Unfortunately it's possible you fried something in the ECU as well. It takes less than a second to do that. If it doesn't run after you replace the blown fusible link..... well.... bummer.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,078 posts
  • WV

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Blown fusible links, I had a blown ECU once due to the same thing.  both easy fixes.

#7 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,635 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

thanks guys , hope its not the ECU

#8 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

I  think you will be okay. If I remember correctly there is a protection diode inside the ECU that helps stop damage for this kind of thing.

If you don't know where the links are they are in the small plastic box mounted on the coolant reservoir. You most likely blew out the main black link.

#9 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

The FL's are hard to inspect within their intact clothlike covers. I have heard of one mechanical shop stuffing something and hoping to claim on dealer warranty, so the workers allegedly did their best to fry the ECU by shorting out terminals - could not kill it ! I also had a FL fail mid flight at 60mph due to corrosion and it had to happen some time. Car almost would not run, the behind the dash stunk of burnt out capacitors etc, indicator bulb filaments spat out to melt into the insides of the bulbs due to voltage spike/surge that ocured as corroded FL made contact again ECU survived. Guess who has an 89 EA82 mpfi ECU  ? :)

Maybe you only ruined a battery ? Try another first !

Edited by jono, 14 September 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#10 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

When links burn out they burn in the middle of the link. While it can be hard By bending them it is easy to feel and see the difference between a good one and a blown link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users