Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1997 Legacy Outback wagon trunk release

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Park

Park

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

I cleaned out my trunk, and the car, so I could put the seats up.  A little while ago, I went to open the hatch, and it wouldn't open.  When I lift on the latch, there does not seem to be any pressure when I lift on it.  That does't change whether it is locked/unlocked with the key or the button on my driver's door.

How do I open it, and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

Well you say trunk and then hatch.  Sedan's have trunk lids, Wagon's have a Hatch.  

Sedan, you should be able to go through the rear seat and get into the trunk to pull the release.

Wagon, you need to pull the lower panel off the inside, about 8 little plastic buttons across the bottom and then pull it off.  Once in you can manually release the latch.

Before you do all of that, push down while someone does the electronic locks for you a few times.

#3 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Push the handle back to the fully returned position, then unlock the door and pull the handle. If that works, then spray penetrating oil on the handles hinge and work it back and forth until it springs all the way back on its own.

#4 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • Central Wisconsin

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

it is rather common to have the rear hatch handle get gummed up and not want to return to the proper "closed" position on its own.

Push the handle back to the correct position, then make sure it is unlocked (cycle the locks a time or two)

You should then be able to open the rear hatch.

If the above procedure doesnt work, then you will have to remove the inside cover to get to the latch mechanism inside.

Edited by heartless, 15 September 2013 - 05:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users