Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sept. 27-29 Mt. Rainier, WA Old-Gen Meet

Even if the snow is not quite down to the elevation of the campground, I think it wouldn't be fun camping. It says strong winds and rain (or snow) on the southwest facing slopes (which Cougar Rock is on). It'll be cold, wet, and rainy, which might not be the best to camp in.

It doesn't seem like really anybody is coming with, but we are probably going to do the Olympic loop and drive around the Olympic peninsula.

Even if the snow is not quite down to the elevation of the campground, I think it wouldn't be fun camping. It says strong winds and rain (or snow) on the southwest facing slopes (which Cougar Rock is on). It'll be cold, wet, and rainy, which might not be the best to camp in.

It doesn't seem like really anybody is coming with, but we are probably going to do the Olympic loop and drive around the Olympic peninsula.

Not a very good weekend to go on a drive...

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=WAZ504&warncounty=WAC067&firewxzone=WAZ655&local_place1=&product1=Special+Weather+Statement#.UkYPIIYqh8E

Since I missed WCSS I was thinking of doing this outing and head out very early Sat., till I read the weather reports on post above, it is just going to be flat ugly, which normally doesn't bother me but with the travel distance in such weather, I will have to submit to a local activity this weekend.

October Fest in Leavenworth with Subaru's as seen in above post, good idea. 

Pick a camp ground up Icicle Road, they will probably all be empty.  

That is very doable next month. Look for a calm weekend and just post it... if they show they show.  

• Like 1

Well the Mt Rainier camping was a bust. The weather forecast heavy rains, possible mountain snow and gusting winds. What to do?

Being WET-STERN Washington, we take our lemons and make lemonade. Use what you got and today rain and gusting winds and bluster was what we got. So jj421 and myself brainstormed (pun intended) and decided to trek on over to the Washington coast and watch nature on display first hand.  I know we talked about the Olympic Loop but that it was too long and there was construction near Lake Crescent. We decided to head down I-5 to Vancouver, cross into Oregon 30 and head west to the coast then back into Washington foolishly thinking it might be a four or five hour trip. Yeah I can just hear folks laughing out loud. Didn't the SS Minnow start out with this same premise? :P

Well after over 14 hours including our stops to sight see, eat and fart at the rest stops, we clocked 490 + miles on our cars. We couldn't just sit at home twiddling our thumbs, not after we had our sights set on a trip.  There was one point in Oregon right around Clatskanie where the rain fell so hard it was like driving under a waterfall for about 1/2 mile. Throw in several standing lakes at freeway speeds and you get the idea.

We met at Tacoma Mall at about 9:30 am and got into Astoria about 4:30 pm. We stopped for dinner and then made our way into Washington to Cape Disappointment State Park. It was anything but.  As you can see by the photos.

102_0535.jpg

102_0536.jpg

102_0540.jpg

102_0541.jpg

102_0532.jpg

102_0525.jpg

That is jj421 in the mirror with his fog lights on. I am glad we made the trip. Our cars ran great (I got 32 mpg) and handled the weather well. My odo crossed 152K which makes it 2k I have added since WCSS on Sept 7th.

If you have never been on the coast watching the waves crash the coast in a gale force wind storm, you should try it at least once in your lifetime. It was quite a show.

Edited by MR_Loyale