Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Spark

Spark

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

EA81 86 Brat w/4 speed.

I recently replaced my Hitachi carb with a Weber, once I get her running it is Awesome. Getting to that point seems to be a slight struggle.

I had my mechanic replace bushings and other pieces on the front end. He seems to think that there is no spark while cranking the starter, then once I let off the starter it proceeds to give spark and fire off.
He freely admits he doesn't know a lot about the Soobs, but thinks it may be the ignition or something else. I'm starting to think it may be the worn ignition, a few months back I noticed while going down the road I had no radio, fan, or cigarette lighter power. Figured out that the key was not returning back to the run position, thus not allowing power to the aforementioned things.

So my question is could this worn ignition cause me lack of spark too, or is this the wrong thing to consider?

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

It sounds like you are on the right track. Some folks have had similar problems like this and it does sound like the ignition switch is at fault here. Check to see if voltage is getting to the plus side of the ignition coil while you are in the START mode. If you don't have voltage in that mode and do in the RUN mode then the switch has a problem. It sounds like the ACC position has a problem also since you stated other things aren't working also. The problem may be the switch contacts are just not aligning correctly.

#3 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

So I pulled the ignition apart tonight. Stuck a flat head in the switch part and turned it and it fired right off. Put it back together and it seems to be starting fairly consistently right so far. Looking at the bottom of the lock I'm thinking the lock part really needs changed, will try to include picture.

#4 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

I can only get this on pic to go, but you notice the cut out in the bottom of the lock and off to the side where the key is inserted.

Attached Files

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

That looks like it needs to replaced alright.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users