Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Headlight strangeness.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scole665

scole665

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

79 BRAT GL with 4 headlights lights up front. I know the low beams bulbs work, because they came on for awhile, then went off suddenly. The high beams work fine, all 4 come on. Oddly, they didn't work all morning on a long drive then the next day when I went out to start her, they worked... for a few minutes until they simply shut off again. All marker lights work when they're supposed to work. Where to start? Any suggestions for a novice?

Attached Files

Edited by scole665, 15 September 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#2 scole665

scole665

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

OOOOOOppps. I may have posted in the wrong place.... sorry 'bout that. 

#3 -tombba-

-tombba-

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Finland

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

Well first check your fuses and if they are fine check that the relays are working. Sounds like something in the electrical side is getting heated too much and cuts off due to it. But good place to start is the fuses and relays.

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

See if the lights have voltage getting to them while the trouble is happening. If you have voltage at the light then the problem is most likely with the switched ground for the lights.

#5 scole665

scole665

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I checked the fuse and it looked fine. I think there is one fuse for all the lights, so I doubt it's that. I don't know where to find the relay nor how to check it. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to mechanical stuff. I guess I need a book! I do have a voltmeter, but I don't know how to use it to test what you suggested Cougar. The headlight has a three pronged plug so I don't know where to put the red/black wire on the voltmeter. Are you guys sick of me yet? I swear, I am a functional member of society! 

#6 scole665

scole665

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

OK, as it turns out I do know how to use the voltmeter. I have nothing at the headlight when the switch is in the low beam position. I do when it's in the high beam position. So, that limits it to a million other things. :-)  I was smart enough to unplug the high beams lamps so I can at least drive around an not piss the world off. 

#7 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,043 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

If you have no power at the low beam then one of the headlight relays is likely they culprit.  If you can get someone to tell you where to find it the relay  should be as simple as swapping the low beam and high beam relays. which will at the very least give you low beams for the interim until you can find a new one.

Mike

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Usually there is a head light relay for each side of the car and it supplies power for both the low and high beam lights for that side. Power passes through the relay and to the common wire of the light plug. The other two wires of the plug connect a ground connection for the selected light which passes through the light switch. You stated that you saw no power getting to the low beams so that may mean the light switch is not turning on the relay in the low beam position, which is usually turned on by making a ground connection to the relay coil. To verify that the low beams will work when power is getting to them you can manually supply power to the lead you saw power on for the high beams while the switch is in the low beam position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users