Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Troubleshooting an EA82T Engine

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 858 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

Not the EGR valve itself for code 35 but the small inch by inch cube doo dad (vacuum solenoid) with vacuum lines at right angles to each other as they leave and enter it. Is mounted to the passenger side of the throttle body, a 2 wire white plastic connector, black and blue ? wires, bolted down to manifold. Commn to find they no longer click in click out with straigh 12V applied to them. A carby EA82 usually has same component to swap in, easy to check with 12V across its terminals to hear it click in out

#27 James_Ford

James_Ford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

NorthWet, you're seeing the passenger cylinder's exhaust flange, not the turbo flange.

#28 James_Ford

James_Ford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

Yeah... the reason the code 35 is happenning is not because the solenoid is broken... it's cause it's gone.

P.O. removed it and plugged the vacuum lines.

Sometimes inheriting someone else's project is not ideal.

Edited by James_Ford, 21 September 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#29 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

NorthWet, you're seeing the passenger cylinder's exhaust flange, not the turbo flange.

That is kind of what I figured, but my brain couldn't quite be sure from the photo.  I don't recall anyone before mentioning a failure there.  Still, from what I can interpret from the photo, it looks like some previous work has been done before.

If you have the skills or resources to repair, go ahead and do so.  You don't really have to worry about doing a neat job, as the pipe design is rather poor to begin with.

#30 James_Ford

James_Ford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

It's getting sealed up and reinstalled for troubleshooting purposes, at least.
I'm off to work in a different state for two weeks tomorrow AM, so I'll have to pursue this project again Later.

I wonder what I should order to have ready for myself when I get home... other than exhaust gaskets.

Nobody say "EJ" (although that may be in the Long Term Plan)

#31 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

As a random thought, you should think about at least examining, and preferably replacing, the coolant hose that runs up from the head to the turbo center section.  It is near impossible to get at when everything is in place.  Also, replace the hose from the turbo to the thermostat housing.  It sees extremely hot water/steam, and becomes embrittled very quickly.

#32 James_Ford

James_Ford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Durango, CO

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:07 AM

The exhaust leak is fixed!

BUT

It does still stumble upon acceleration.

I don't know where to start troubleshooting. I would rather avoid the replace-stuff-till-it-works plan.
At least one injector is very loud and the right side cylinder bank left it's header a little oily.
As it is a rather messy lookin wiring harness - does anyone know if a wiring harness issue could cause this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users