Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Troubleshooting an EA82T Engine

Not the EGR valve itself for code 35 but the small inch by inch cube doo dad (vacuum solenoid) with vacuum lines at right angles to each other as they leave and enter it. Is mounted to the passenger side of the throttle body, a 2 wire white plastic connector, black and blue ? wires, bolted down to manifold. Commn to find they no longer click in click out with straigh 12V applied to them. A carby EA82 usually has same component to swap in, easy to check with 12V across its terminals to hear it click in out

NorthWet, you're seeing the passenger cylinder's exhaust flange, not the turbo flange.

That is kind of what I figured, but my brain couldn't quite be sure from the photo.  I don't recall anyone before mentioning a failure there.  Still, from what I can interpret from the photo, it looks like some previous work has been done before.

If you have the skills or resources to repair, go ahead and do so.  You don't really have to worry about doing a neat job, as the pipe design is rather poor to begin with.

It's getting sealed up and reinstalled for troubleshooting purposes, at least.

I'm off to work in a different state for two weeks tomorrow AM, so I'll have to pursue this project again Later.

I wonder what I should order to have ready for myself when I get home... other than exhaust gaskets.

Nobody say "EJ" (although that may be in the Long Term Plan)

As a random thought, you should think about at least examining, and preferably replacing, the coolant hose that runs up from the head to the turbo center section.  It is near impossible to get at when everything is in place.  Also, replace the hose from the turbo to the thermostat housing.  It sees extremely hot water/steam, and becomes embrittled very quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

The exhaust leak is fixed!

BUT

It does still stumble upon acceleration.

I don't know where to start troubleshooting. I would rather avoid the replace-stuff-till-it-works plan.

At least one injector is very loud and the right side cylinder bank left it's header a little oily.

As it is a rather messy lookin wiring harness - does anyone know if a wiring harness issue could cause this?