Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90' DL just died

Here is what I know:

Bought a 90' DL wagon (non turbo) drove around for a few weeks mostly no problems. In for brakes, stops VERY nice now.

Sold / Gave to daughter who left Seattle area no problem. Around Woodburn Oregon, she reports the following:

"CEL" flashed on, engine died. She tried starting, it will crank. Simply will not fire.

Of course we will have timing belts checked - I don't recall if CEL comes on when one fails.

Any other suggestions?

As a side note I must say I am TOTALLY impressed with this forum. I've been reading for last 3 weeks since I picked up this ride. I did have an 87' DL (2WD) for 15 years / 200K miles and did most of my own work. I could do timing belts in under 30 minutes by the time I got rid of it :-)

Yup, it was a driver's side timing belt.

Won't even go into detail on the bs with the mechanic it was taken to, but I will say if you and your Subaru are stuck in Cottage Grove Oregon, I would not be going to B&A Auto.  Not only are they bozo's, they will likely tell you your car is an old POS.

No kidding.

The good news is we found a fellow down there who knows the boxers inside out, and will be taking good care of us.

Thank you again to everyone here.