Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 EA82 no spark

Let me start this off by telling the story. I was driving my 88 subaru over to my dads garage to replace the rear wheel bearings which were past due, when the car lost most of its power and shut off. I pulled over on the side of the hwy where a friend came out with his buick Rivera and towed me to my dads. Further inspection showed the passenger cam gear broke!!!! Luckily I have a extra motor that is seized up and I took the cam gear off of that, I also had an extra set of new timing belts!! I re timed the motor the first time I was a tooth off and it ran but not right, In between that time and when I had it set right I turned it over with the coil disconnected from the distributor. I noticed the coil sent a spark out of it. Now when I moved the pulley over a tooth and try to start it there is no spark. I changed the coil still no spark, I also switched the distributor to another one I had not sure if its good or not, still no spark. My buddy said it could be the spark ignitor which seems to be located under the coil. can anyone help me here?

Could well be the coil bracket mounted ignitor.I`ve seen them damaged by disconnected coil high tension wires.

If the injector(s) fire w/cranking,disty is OK.

If injector works and coil negative has power,but still no spark,ignitor is likely fried.

Well I gave it a try, 12v at the coil. Cranked the car over and it didnt sound like the injector was firing, took off the air intake tube and cranked it, no gas on squirting in. so i guess its the distributor. Is there any way to test the distributor? I'm looking to buy a good one if anyone has an extra they could sell me

You checked for 12 volts on the plus side of the coil but did you also check for power on the minus side of the coil along with seeing if that connection makes pulses while cranking the engine. If the test light stays on steady while cranking the engine then the disty isn't sending ground pluses to the coil for some reason. You should also make sure no fuses are blown. Especially fuses 5, and 11.