Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Head Bolt Lengths

Head Bolt Length EA82

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

It's been a while...  Anyway,  I need to finaly put an engine back together.  Something like 10 years since I dissassembled it...  I noticed there are 2 different lengths of head bolts.  It looks like there should be 3 shorter ones in a line just under the valve springs.  Is this correct?

Back story:

I took it apart back then to do a re-seal.  It was leaking oil at a stupid rate, as is typical.  I had that engine from when it had 15,000 miles on it.  Drove it past 150,000 with synthertic oil and a bypass filter.  Never changed oil, just added as needed.  Checked a crank bearing & wrist pin, both in the best condition / original spec I've seen in the handful of engines I've rebuilt / dissassembled.  And there it has sat, parts in boxes.

Anyway, lots of other things kept me busy - like building a house - and I ended up with other spare engines, so I have not needed to re assemble it until now.

Thus I don't remember which bolts were short / long / where they were...

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

Set them in place, and it should be apparent.  For some reason, my mind says 5 of the shorter bolts, and they should fit in the recessed areas of the head (like around the valves).

#3 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

Extra bolts from another engine got mixed in.. Thus the uncertainty on quantities.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Presuming an ea82, the shorte bolts go in the middle, and the longer go on the perimeter. You will see the outside holes have a taller shoulder, for the longer bolts.

#5 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Looks like 3 short + 6 long then.  I have to look around more.   I don't have enough short bolts.   Nuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users