Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1998 Subaru Legacy GT-B Twin turbo wagon, any good?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Terry in Australia

Terry in Australia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Melbourne, Victoria

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

G'Day Guys, here in Oz, our version of Craigslist is "Gumtree". I've recently become a Gumtree convert, and bought my $450.00 1995 FWD Liberty (Legacy) from Gumtree in July. I'm interested in buying an AWD Soobie, and this one came up a day or two ago, which I find interesting: 

http://www.gumtree.c...i-v8/1025768626

The seller texted me some pics of the interior and engine which don't look too bad, and I'm waiting on a reply as to which bearings need replacing, (I'm guessing Turbo, but I don't know for sure) do you guys know what goes wrong with these things?

The Legacy wasn't an official Subaru import into Australia, so I thought I'd throw this open to the wider Subaru community, I do my own mechanical work, so I'm interested to know what goes wrong, and what to look for? Cheers, Terry.

#2 KiwiGL

KiwiGL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

Well, from the auction details it's had a swap to a version 8 STi drivetrain, so it's no longer twin-turbo. As for what goes wrong, I can't fill you in on that, sorry.

#3 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,684 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

98 Leggie with twin-turbo was never sold in North America, so us Yanks here in the USA won't have any experience or knowledge of the reputation of that motor.

I do own a 98 OBW, and I can attest that the car is well made, and holds up well.

#4 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,344 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

From my reading, the ej20r, stock tt engine, suffers from weak bottom end. But the heads are supposed to be one of the best you can get.

#5 Terry in Australia

Terry in Australia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Melbourne, Victoria

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Thanks guys, I've emailed the seller to see if I can go and take a look this weekend, but haven't received a reply yet. I suspect that it's still a "Twin Turbo" with later model differentials installed, but I guess all will be revealed when I see it in the flesh. If it needs crank and conrod bearings it'll be a good warmup for my Honda Goldwing engine rebuild I'll be doing in a month or two........ Cheers, Terry. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users