Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rust wrestling...i mean..how do you remove a rear sway bar end link bolt?

rear sway bar end link is broke and when you turn the nut of course the stud just turns.

is there any simple removal method beyond cutting it off , that seems silly to cut off every one in the rust belt? 

doesn't look like enough room to get my impact in there between the nut and rear backing plate/disc set up...i could use a wobble joint i guess.

You may have to get them pretty tight but that's the only way other than cutting the stud, which I've also done. Vice grips are easier.

Some of them have an Allen or torx in the end but if its rusty the right size bit doesn't fit anymore and usually rounds off, or the bit breaks because there is too much torque required to remove the nut.

Your favorite flavor of penetrating oil will definitely help.

I like to pre-soak mine with 50/50 acetone/ATF mix, then wire brush the threads clean and then hit them with the pink juice again before putting the vicegrips to the nut side and cursing them loose. Sometimes i work the impact in there with a wobble joint... but sometimes you just have to cut the buggers.

Fishy, another user of Ed's Red I see, minus the stoddard solvent.

That stuff has a name? neat! I always call it "The Pink Spuz" around home. Not sure where I saw the formula but wherever it was they only had the 50/50 mix of acetone/atf listed and I happened to have those things in my garage so that's what I use.