Ultimate Subaru Message Board

problems shifting while running

well tonight on the way home i stoped at my usual place i hit the mud puttles and then the ditch that i go through, well i go through the dirch, then put it in 4LO and hit the mud, shift into second and pull out.

i go to put it into reverse after commign to a stop to get through the mud again and it wont go in reverse, just grinding.

i then decide to leave, ends up all the lower gears meaning, 2, 4, and Reverse wont work, i can go through 1, 3, 5th no problems, but i cant get it into the others while driving or stopped.

but when its not running sitting still i can shift easily like i was able to before through all the gears.

i have to go to work tomarrow so can someone give me some hints to what i have to do to fix this.

Thanks,

Shean

ya sitting witht he motor off i can go through all the gears no problem, then if i start it up i can hardly shift into 1,3,5, but 2,4 is hard and i almost have to force it, and there is absolutly no way into reverse, it just wont allow me, all it does is grind, even when it is ideling and i try to gently push it in, no dice.

this sucks,

Shean

looks as if im not only rebuilding the engine but also putting in a new tranny after i get my brat.

Leaning towards clutch malfunction here, too.

Possibilities are:

Cable streched, but that would be streching it a bit.

Throw-out lever, either bent, broke, or came off of the pivot, or off of the throw-out bearing.

Clutch disc, either it's hanging up on the input shaft of the tranny, possibly do to mud/dirt on the splines, or the disc failed and has wedged the clutch material between the disc and the flywheel/pressure plate, not allowing the clutch to fully release.

yep i did ajust the cable last night, no change, then when i got home i checked the linkage, its fine also. so i dunno, ill check the mount today, but it looked fine last night also.

im just going to take it up to Brian's Subaru up here in Burien monday morning, have a new clutch put in anyways since this one slips, and have them check everything else.

Shean

That and take a pressure washer, or do a really good job with a regular hose, and wash out the area for the linkages, and with the engine stopped, flush the clutch area...although all may dissagree, due to contamination the water may impose on parts in there...but its something to try before spending $ on a clutch job at a shop...even tho its time for one, why not try to go a little further on this one?

it was slipping before this happened, and if i ajusted it lets say monday, by wednesday i would have to reajust it, when i first got it you could shift into second spinning the tires, now it just slips alittle,

and no sticks/rocks in the linkage...

oh well i say get drunk tonight then take it to brians tomarrow and have the kevlar clutch put in and a complete tune up, i got the money, might as well have the work garuntied. ya know...

Later,

Shean