Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater sucks balls 81 GL 4x4

I  have an 81 GL wagon 4x4 and the heater has always sucked and now its starting to get cold here in montana. I have a new fan on order because mine screames when i turn it on. but would the culprit be a clogged heater core? I have replaced therm a few months ago, I dont mind doing a core but were do I get one? parts stores here cant order one. And were is it located, ive not done this on a subaru before and havent looked into it yet. also leaking oil from oil filter housing adapter? on front of motor, and was looking into a new oil pump and valve adjustment b4 winter sets in. If anyone has info related Id be greatly appreciated.

You can try back flushing it first. Disconnect the hoses and use your garden hose to run water through it both directions. You should also make sure the cable to the blend (temp) door is working. Can't get a heater core!? That's BS. Both NAPA and... gawd forbid, O'Reillys both can get them.

Try blasting compressed air through your heater system. The core fins could be packed with dirt and crud.

And the back flush works good, but it works even better if you put vinegar through the cooling system first. No, it doesn't hurt anything. Just pour about 2 cups or so of vinegar in your radiator and drive it for a while, then back flush the system. You'd be amazed at what comes out.

Twitch

• Like 1

The heater core is located in the middle of the dash.  It's a bit involved to swap it out but it's actually not too bad once you've committed.  I ordered my new core online.  The heater on these really cooks when functioning properly.  As skishop mentioned, make sure the linkage that opens the valve to the heater core is connected.  It's just the one coming off the temp select dial.  The valve is down to the right of the accelerator pedal behind a kick panel.

Hmmm I never had an EA81 with a good heater (both brats too so its not like they had much cab to heat)  Guess both of mine needed work.  Ya I would just order the heater core off the internet... screw the local parts stores if they won't help you.

Yeah, I have often joked about reheating meals with it.  I had to swap my core out because I used the Bar's radiator stop leak additive before I was a member here and found out that was bad juju.  Once I did that the heater sucked because the passages in the core got plugged.  Once I replaced the core it was back to simmer and boil.  The other thing that can happen is detritus can build up on top of the core so air can't flow through the core and get heated.  As you know in Oregon, you can easy get a couple inches of fir needles in there and then a mossy mat grows and the next thing you know you've got ferns growing out of your car.