Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift install advice - help, please

northguy

I'm dropping the rear axle/torsion bar/differential to install the 3" lift and am watching the brake line get very tight. I've loosened the fold over keepers on the swing arms, but that doesn't seem to give any relief. I fear that if I lower the rear assembly low enough to put the blocks in I'll break the brake lines. Should I cut the L bracket that holds the brake lines to the body? Are they essential to brake operation? Any help is appreciated.

This may be premature, but welcome to the world that rides a few inches higher than the rest, i thought the lift was the greatest thing ever for my subie, then i found out that swampers could fit after the lift, and i never looked back. congrats, take it nice and easy or you'll strip bolts like i did when i put mine in.

Hmmm... that's an interesting predicament. I seem to remember hearing that on the front you would just remove the brake line from its holder and either let it dangle or attach it somewhere else.

I think I'll be out there by three to provide what assistance I can. My class is meeting at 10 today, and it could go anywhere from 2-5 hours, but I'll zip out there directly afterward. Are there any special tools or or other parts or anything that I can get before I head out?

Northguy, its good to hear you got your lift :) and it seems like you tackled the install without any snags as well. Congrats!! I ran into a rear brakeline problem on my lift as well. Turned out there was a clip on the rear of the torsion bar I didnt see.

When should we expect to see some pix?

-Brian

I'll try to post pics in the next day or so. I would never have been able to install one of those in my younger days. I was too impatient and would have ended up stripping out a bunch of stuff. Wrenching teaches patience, and it's good to have a competent partner who doesn't conplain when the first thing you do is hit him in the forehead with the steering extension :lol: . Thanks again for the help, Kelly.