Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello subi guys and gales. I'm looking for some help. I'm starting a build this winter. I have a 93 subaru legacy wagon fwd as my daily driver. She has been an amazing car. It has the 2.2 non turbo automatic. I have just purchased a 97 legacy sedan Awd. It has had a motor swap and is now a 2.2 non turbo automatic instead of the 2.5L turbo automatic it used to be. The only problem with it is the tranny is whooped. I am wondering if anyone out there can shoot me some info. I'm curious to see if I can use the tranny from the 93 wagon and put into the 97 sedan being is they are both the 2.2. But

I'm not sure if it will work cause one is Awd and other is fwd. I hope I can make this swap cause I really like the 97 sedan over the wagon. Any info or tips will help before I get my hopes up to much and rent a shop for the winter. Thanks everyone and hope to hear your tips. Thanks moose

You can swap it as a temporary means or a permanent meand. Just remove the driveshaft. If you keep it as a FWD, remove the rear axles and diff, maybe swap on the 2wd hubs.

It will work as far as bolt-up goes. some o the wiring pinouts on the trans may be different, may have to swap the harness from the trans' bodiy

No turbo on the 97 2.5.

Trans will swap but it'll still only be FWD. There may be wiring differences as MilesFox said. Should be able to swap the harness.

You might consider poking around at a local U-pull-it yard for an AWD trans. They don't usually go bad and are usually about $150.

Also might check car-part.com. Should be able to find one there in the $250-$400 range.