Ultimate Subaru Message Board

drivetrain swap

disom93

The top mount starter is the issue. The 5 spd trans will bolt in, but not the top starter engine. A ea81 or later model ea71(86 hatch) has the side mount starter.

I am trying to remember bellhousing swap. The bell comes off the engine, but i believe it swaps between ea81 and ea71 fat case. I am not familiar with teh earliest gen of ea71/ea81, someone will chime in

Otherwise, if you swap in a 5spd, it will share the same 23 spline axle if it is from a n/a model. There may be clearance issie in the trans tunnel for the rear (BFH).

Otherwise, ea82 hardware swaps into an ea81 body.

The EA71 bell housing can only be swaped between the late and early EA71, bolt holes are different for the EA81.

To use your current driveshaft you would have to get it lengthened as the five speed gearbox is shorter than the four.

I believe the five speed may cause some clearance issues with the steering shaft in a 1980 Brat.The dual range four speed and EA81 just barely fit and the five speed box is s fair bit wider near the bell housing.

There is a write-up in the Historic forum that had pics from a member who did this swap.

Edited by Leeroy

To put a dual range gearbox on your 1600 you will need the fat case bell housing. All dual range gearboxes (4 and 5) have a side mount starter.

Simplest would be a four speed but you will have to muck around with the shift levers or find the shifters from a 1981 EA81/dual range Gen 1 Brat.

Edited by Leeroy