Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New head gaskets EA82

DaveT

I'm ready to re install the heads on this EA82 engine.  I have a set of Fel-Pro Permatourque head gaskets.   Are there any tricks or little details to watch out for?  Of course, I'll follow the sequence and 3 steps.  I know not to use sealant on head gaskets. 

For some reason, I half remember an o-ring for the oil passage - but I could be thinking of an older model engine?  The Fel-Pro gasket has a small metallic ring as part of the gasket for the oil passage.  Looking at it and the block, there really isn't a good surface for one to seal against anyway, so I suspect my memory is wrong.

there's also a metal reinforced oring between the cam carrier and head - one per side - so two total for the engine.  be sure to use Subaru's metal reinforced oring and not just a rubber oring. i think 85 and 86 EA82's may have come with a regular oring there, later ones get the metal reinforced one.

resurface the heads and clean the block well.  GD has a great thread about resurfacing heads yourself, it's unbelievably easy to do and you can definitely notice the uneven surface as you do it.  takes like 4 minutes, beats driving to the shop, dropping off, coming back later...etc...and it's nearly free.

Be sure an not attempt to insert a short cylinder head bolt, into a hole that requires the longer cylinder head bolts. You strip out threads in your block, real fast. Be mindfull of the three oil passageways between the cylinder head and the camtower. One requires the metal reinforced Subaru O-ring. The other two require a very light amount of gasket maker. Do not be shy about using some gasket maker in the lower half of the camtower cover gaskets, and at the lower camtower cover bolts. That is the location of one of the largest oil leaks. Replace those cover gaskets as well, if they feel a little stiff.

Oh, these are great to know!  I got the whole top / head set gasket kit from Fel-Pro, so all will be new.  The old cam tower cover gaskets I may have replaced once in the past.  Off to see what the orings look like, and find that head resurfacing thread.  I was looking at them last night, and thinking they really need it.  I can see & feel a slight imprint of the steel part of the original head gasket.