Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale wagon

Mechanical_misfit

Hey guys, 

I haven't been on the forum as much lately because my `84 DL hasn't been giving me much grief and I've been just driving it. I have been worrying since I sold my `00 Outback that the Desert Fox would have to spend a winter in the salt and snow of western MI. I wanted another 4wd old gen subie, but ended up with this thing instead.

2XSwyn0.jpg

KNj5ccn.jpg

It's a `91 Loyale fwd auto wagon. I picked it up for $350 with a wicked coolant leak and a wasted rear wheel bearing. I still need to do the basic tune up stuff, rear brakes, and that wheel bearing, but for the cost of all that I will have a pretty reliable and cheap second car. 140k miles, Its originally from an old lady in Florida, and has only spent 5-6 years up here so the body and under side are in pretty nice shape. I don't know if I will bother much with the rust that is starting to show up, that will depend on my budget and how soon winter comes. I will undercoat and do my best to preserve what is there. 

First up though, was installing these H alloys that I had been sitting on a while. 

HelMEhN.jpg

I blasted then powder coated them, and they turned out pretty nice if I do say so myself.

eGCVGBp.jpg

vFuEcWQ.jpg

I think it looks good, and I should have a good ride for under $500 when I'm done. I just was never a fan of the stock loyale caps. 

I have the front airdam and sideskirts. I have a new front valence. I got a pair of taillights. I am across the ferry from you! I travel to coldwater, Mi on holidays. Perhaps a personal delivery around thanksgiving. Take my ea82 hoard.

Very interested in that air dam and side skirts. I live only a few blocks from where the ferry port is. I saw you were liquidating you ea82 stash. What are those parts worth?

Nice!Thinking I have an extra dome light or two here.Also, have a FWD 5-speed trans, with most everything needed to swap it in. Would have to look to make sure on what is all here.

Tom, let me know if you run across a dome light. I also wouldn't mind a new rear bumper. Mine has some heavy scratches in it. Maybe you have one left from the parts wagon? Travis and I will have to bring a case of cold brews over for you soon. I might be interested in the five speed stuff but I've gotta worry about the small things first.

Seems a number of midwest subies are finding their way into the right hands. Nice score! Hard to beat for $350.

I know it's more of a beater, but you can extend the life of the body with regular washings when the salt is flying. Especially if you have the combo of undercoating/washing. Using a hose is a pain in the winter, but worth the extra effort in the life of your car. I used to have a $4. drive thru car wash near my house and every time it got above or near the freezing point, I'd run the car through there and get the salt and grime off.

Thankfully, I reside in California at the moment and have a respite from the snow and salt for a while.

Get that car running nicely and you will love the gas mileage you'll get out of a 2wd subie. They're still great in the snow. Grew up with my dad's old silver 84 DL wagon with 2WD. We took that car up into the mountains and through snowstorms with no troubles. Never got stuck. Our 86 Isuzu trooper 4x4 couldn't say the same.

Ok. I found a dome light, and I do have an extra PS tail light assembly. No rear bumper....

For the FWD 5-speed stuff, flywheel/clutch assembly still on engine, shifter/boot, pedal box w/cable. Shifter trim piece is currently in the '88, but I plan to swap console out to the '92's, so that will be available.

Don't have any axles to go with it.

• Like 1

Found a tail lamp locally, along with mud flaps. That's always a good feeling because these cars are sooo hard to find parts for around here.

I also finished the tune up with some like New parts I scavenged at a junkyard.

Still need to look in to the rear bearings. Are these as much of a PITA as the 4wd bearings? Still have yet to take the rear drums off or order those parts. I've also got an exhaust leak at the mid pipe. I should be able to order those parts this weekend. I've gotten lucky in the over time department lately, so I'm going to clean up the rust and paint this.

Tom, hit me with a PM in cost of that dome light when you have time. I can PayPal you when ever if that works.

Fox, any ideas on those parts you mentioned? I'll have to PM you later because my phone is being difficult.

• 1 month later...

Updates:

I got the drivers side in primer and all the rust repaired. I need a driver's side fender before I can paint it. No luck on finding one locally. I also managed to snap the drivers side timing belt. Ordered a replacement but it won't be here till Tuesday. I've got TDF in storage currently, but will have to drive it this week. Next week I'm inheriting an old ford Crown Vic, so once the timing is fixed on my Loyale, it wi join TDF in storage until I can move to a house with a garage. This fall has been a whirlwind of bad luck, and I no longer have a garage to work out of. Hopefully by spring I will be able to make some real progress on these damned projects of mine.

Totally forgot about the dome light. I claim "old-timer's" on that. Still sitting on the shelf I laid it on.Believe I have a DS fender up in the rafters. Will check on that a bit later.Rear bearings are easy to do on the FWD models.

Awesome! Let me know on that fender. I wouldn't mind making the trip over to pick up those parts. I'm sure Travis wouldn't mind going along for the ride.

Much darker Blue than what your Wagon appears to be in pics on here.

edit;

No PS fender, just this one.

end edit.

And bratman18, I basically forgot about the fender being up there in the rafters the past 3-4 years. Been stuffing more stuff up there and had to move it.

Edited by TomRhere
  • Like 1

Have you tried car-part.com ? They list fenders for the EA82 models. Price is all over the place depending on who has them listed.

I've bought a few items from sellers listed on there for various vehicles.

I'll be around here next weekend for sure. Shouldn't have to work Saturday, but I'd be home by noon if I do. Sunday is always good.

As always, bring lot's of money, :). Beer is always welcomed too. :) Miller Lite, please...

I have some more EA81 parts, so either you or Travis may want to pick them up also. Basically items I won't be needing regardless of what I do with the '82 BRAT.

• Like 1