Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch spline count

Looking like I need to replace the clutch on my 89gl d/r sub. That or it needs adjusted. Not sure.

My question is, when I look it up on Napa Pro Link here at work it comes up with 2 different clutches, a 21 spline and a 24 spine, huge different in price. And though I've replaced one once before its been a few years and needless to say I don't remember. I called napa and had them look it up, and it was saying that one of the 2 was for an xt, I wouldn't think they would have the same clutch, but I don't know.

And while I'm asking, what is the most popular method of changing the clutch. The one that I did, I just changed it because I was converting from push button 4x4 to dual range and figured it was as good as time as any to do it. However, seems to me possible doing it by removing engine would be easier. Thoughts?

Looking like I need to replace the clutch on my 89gl d/r sub. That or it needs adjusted. Not sure.

My question is, when I look it up on Napa Pro Link here at work it comes up with 2 different clutches, a 21 spline and a 24 spine, huge different in price. And though I've replaced one once before its been a few years and needless to say I don't remember. I called napa and had them look it up, and it was saying that one of the 2 was for an xt, I wouldn't think they would have the same clutch, but I don't know.

And while I'm asking, what is the most popular method of changing the clutch. The one that I did, I just changed it because I was converting from push button 4x4 to dual range and figured it was as good as time as any to do it. However, seems to me possible doing it by removing engine would be easier. Thoughts?

Should be Orielly's  Part # :  KF680-02

Took me longer to specify your vehicle than to kind the proper clutch.  Key might be either "4WD" or "8inch".

I did put that it was d/r, but when I used Napa pro link, it never asked the size, just showed 2 spline counts, I called them, and from what they told me, the 21 spline is for fwd, 24 is for 4wd. Oreilly's  gave me a number KF475-01, but it was a 21 spline, they didn't show a 24 option.

I will just order an 8" 24 spline. Appreciate the input, thanks everybody

Removing the engine is way easier, at least for vehicles w/o a/c.

I disagree.

You can pull the trans in about an hour without having to remove PS pump, Alternator, AC, Etc.....not to mention drain the coolant and disconnecting battery and fuel lines spilling fuel.

Pulling the trans the only fluid you may need to top off when done is the trans fluid.  Although if you disconnect the rear of the driveline, and leave the driveline in the back of the trans while lowering it you won't even lose any of that.

I am thinking I will do it the engine way this time, the engine I have in there in the last 2 weeks has started leaking about a quart every 6 days, you can sit and watch while it drips after driving it a few miles, its also developed a ping, even when driving on flat ground, no power when i'm  at a higher elevation, have to put it in 4 low to pull the slightest grade in the mountains, no bueno with hunting season in a couple weeks.

I picked up a spare motor here at work from another wrecking yard, to my surprise it looks like a recent rebuild, or somebody spent a lot of time cleaning it up and painting it grey, figure now is as good of time as any to swap it out.

Could a plugged cat be part of the pinging and lack of power in higher elevations?