Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

clutch spline count

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TRAVIS75

TRAVIS75

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • OMAK,WA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Looking like I need to replace the clutch on my 89gl d/r sub. That or it needs adjusted. Not sure.

My question is, when I look it up on Napa Pro Link here at work it comes up with 2 different clutches, a 21 spline and a 24 spine, huge different in price. And though I've replaced one once before its been a few years and needless to say I don't remember. I called napa and had them look it up, and it was saying that one of the 2 was for an xt, I wouldn't think they would have the same clutch, but I don't know.

And while I'm asking, what is the most popular method of changing the clutch. The one that I did, I just changed it because I was converting from push button 4x4 to dual range and figured it was as good as time as any to do it. However, seems to me possible doing it by removing engine would be easier. Thoughts?

#2 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

21 splines are more the EA81 clutch for both 200 and 225mm dia clutches.

24 spline ( measures 25.4mm OD ?) and 225mm dia clutches are your EA82 4WD clutch always about twice the price of above !

#3 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Arnhem (The Netherlands)

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Removing the engine is way easier, at least for vehicles w/o a/c.

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

24 spline 8/7/8 i belive I pulled the trans on mine last week did clutch took me 2 hours on hoist with trans jack At same time i installed a reverse shim in trans and filed #1 #2 syncros so reverse is 70 % stronger and downshifts to 1rst and 2nd with no problems. Took 1 hour to go thru trans

#5 TRAVIS75

TRAVIS75

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • OMAK,WA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

So the consensus then is that it should be a 24 spline, I checked at Oreilly's and all they came up with was that it was supposed to be a 21 spline, they didn't even have a listing for a 24 spline for my application.

#6 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Should be Orielly's  Part # :  KF680-02

Took me longer to specify your vehicle than to kind the proper clutch.  Key might be either "4WD" or "8inch".

#7 TRAVIS75

TRAVIS75

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • OMAK,WA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Looking like I need to replace the clutch on my 89gl d/r sub. That or it needs adjusted. Not sure.

My question is, when I look it up on Napa Pro Link here at work it comes up with 2 different clutches, a 21 spline and a 24 spine, huge different in price. And though I've replaced one once before its been a few years and needless to say I don't remember. I called napa and had them look it up, and it was saying that one of the 2 was for an xt, I wouldn't think they would have the same clutch, but I don't know.

And while I'm asking, what is the most popular method of changing the clutch. The one that I did, I just changed it because I was converting from push button 4x4 to dual range and figured it was as good as time as any to do it. However, seems to me possible doing it by removing engine would be easier. Thoughts?

Should be Orielly's  Part # :  KF680-02

Took me longer to specify your vehicle than to kind the proper clutch.  Key might be either "4WD" or "8inch".

I did put that it was d/r, but when I used Napa pro link, it never asked the size, just showed 2 spline counts, I called them, and from what they told me, the 21 spline is for fwd, 24 is for 4wd. Oreilly's  gave me a number KF475-01, but it was a 21 spline, they didn't show a 24 option.

I will just order an 8" 24 spline. Appreciate the input, thanks everybody

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,816 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Removing the engine is way easier, at least for vehicles w/o a/c.

I disagree.

You can pull the trans in about an hour without having to remove PS pump, Alternator, AC, Etc.....not to mention drain the coolant and disconnecting battery and fuel lines spilling fuel.

Pulling the trans the only fluid you may need to top off when done is the trans fluid.  Although if you disconnect the rear of the driveline, and leave the driveline in the back of the trans while lowering it you won't even lose any of that.

#9 TRAVIS75

TRAVIS75

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • OMAK,WA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

I am thinking I will do it the engine way this time, the engine I have in there in the last 2 weeks has started leaking about a quart every 6 days, you can sit and watch while it drips after driving it a few miles, its also developed a ping, even when driving on flat ground, no power when i'm  at a higher elevation, have to put it in 4 low to pull the slightest grade in the mountains, no bueno with hunting season in a couple weeks.

I picked up a spare motor here at work from another wrecking yard, to my surprise it looks like a recent rebuild, or somebody spent a lot of time cleaning it up and painting it grey, figure now is as good of time as any to swap it out.

Could a plugged cat be part of the pinging and lack of power in higher elevations?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users