Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1992 subaru legacy has developed a weird issue with the left rear blinker in which it will work and then it will stop working as if the bulb went and the check engine light would turn on but then it would work again and the check engine would shut off. I asked the dealership near me if they knew what could cause it but they were baffled by it. So I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this before and if any knows what could be wrong.

Edited by HASx11

Have you taken a gander at the rear passenger side upper wheel well. On my 83 there's a block where the taillights and a few others harness together, I had problems with this as many others have. The wheel well rusts out and leaves all the wiring exposed to moisture, rain, mud. EVERY single connection on this block was corroded and I had to replace all the connections.

I had issues with my tailights, which is what led me to the rear quarter panel wiring.

I haven't looked there but the wheel wells on 92 have no rust only the fenders. I will still take a look just to be safe. I haven't had much to do anything has I have been working a lot. Luckily for now it hasn't been happening but I'm sure it will come back soon.

I too suspect this is a wiring problem, but maybe best to replace the bulb to eliminate that from what could be giving you trouble. Possible socket broblem..............Look very closely at the bulb socket and wiring connections to the socket. Look for possible cracks in the plastic socket housing. Check the interior of the socket to see that the spring prongs are making good connection to the bottom of the bulb.

• 3 weeks later...

STOP DONT INSPECT REAR WHEEL WELL!

apologies but I should have considered that this is a 92 legacy. I'm refering to old gen wagons.

wrong forum appologies.

Pick up a cheap OBDII scanner from Harbor Frieght, and carry it in your car preferably near you. Next time you get the check engine light, pull over and turn the key back to acc and then to on ( not running). scan the computer and write down the code(s) that are presented. look them up online when you get home.

noob2soob22: "Pick up a cheap OBDII scanner from Harbor Frieght, and carry it in your car preferably near you. Next time you get the check engine light, pull over and turn the key back to acc and then to on ( not running). scan the computer and write down the code(s) that are presented. look them up online when you get home."

92 was not yet OBDII so that won't work.

Edited by upnorthguy

Don't need a scanner for a 92. It can flash the codes to you if you do the secret handshake. (And an OBD2 scanner will not connect to a 92)

I read this before and thought you meant the CEL would blink in unison with the turn signal or brake light.

If the CEL just happens to turn on while the bulb is not working that may just be coincidence.

Either way the bulb issue is either a bad bulb, socket, or electrical connection to the bulb.