Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So what broke?

Neds having more issues (windows are finally up for the winter though :D)

When accelerating (NOTE: not when just rolling forward with no throttle) my front right wheel is making a rhythmic thud/light clunk sound... Ive heard wheel bearings (at least that's what I get when I search the symptoms) but I just did wheel bearings, axles, tie rod ends and brakes... I spent 600 on new tires to get the vibrations to go away but they told me my entire front rack was destroyed and quoted me almost $900 to fix, I know I can do it cheaper than that... but Ive also figured my front rack was destroyed since I was leaking PS fluid under the car... but the thud/clunk never happened so it leads me to believe that its axle related... however both boots are intact and not leaking, roll pin is there on the transmission side and the castle nut and everything is there on the wheel side... (should be tight too since I put significant force on putting it back on)

When in reverse, even just rolling backwards without the accelerator pushed, it clunks as well, obviously a slower clunk than when accelerating forward... I figure that's notable as well.

Im kind-of stumped here... I shouldn't have to replace parts I just replaced 2,000 ago, even with the WCSS mud-pit fun that I had (as the offroaders I doubt go through parts THIS quickly.

Edited by 92_rugby_subie

+1 axle needs checked.  a free test if you're unsure is to swap axles side to side and see if the clunk moves with the axle.

if power steering is leaking that bad might try some power steering stop leak.  i generally don't like that stuff but if it's a rack that's leaking and going to get swapped anyway it's worth a shot.

• Like 1

Jack up the front on both sides, and let the front wheels spin. See if you have the same sound. Do some tight turns and see if you have the same sounds. If the sounds stays the same in tight turns, then it is probably the bearings. If the sound changes when you take load off of the wheels, then it is probably the bearings.

Im kind-of stumped here... I shouldn't have to replace parts I just replaced 2,000 ago, even with the WCSS mud-pit fun that I had (as the offroaders I doubt go through parts THIS quickly.

I would agree axle to be #1 suspect.

But believe me, I've had to change wheel bearings 2-3 times a year in my wheeler.....depending on how much mud, water, and sand I drive in.  Balljoints can also be trashed from just one solid hit.