Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel sender?

since the first day iv'e had my Subaru the gas gauge hasn't worked. iv'e done a few tests and it seems like the fuel sender no ohm's are coming from the sender. i have power to the sender and a good ground. if anyone has a fuel sender laying around that works id be more then grateful to buy it. let me know if im wrong about my presumptions.

Pull the sender and make sure the contact is making a Good connection as it sweeps over the rheostat section, Often simply bending the contactor arm will fix things by making a decent contact once more they are a simple mechanical system when all said and done no electronics involved so an eyeball will show you what is needed to hopefully fix the issue.

The connection would be the first thing to check.. The sender almost never actually dies which is good since you cannot get them anywhere.  The next most likely culprit is the gauge itself.  That also can be checked But I am not the one to tell you how.. The gauge was the problem in my 83 GL.

I've got a pullled EA82 unit I can sell you for a couple bucks, but I bet when you dig it out to replace it, you'll see what needs to be cleaned up or bent back into place on yours. I've looked at more than one where the contacts were green and crunchy when we finally went to go examine the sender.