Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GUYS,,I need help Part 2 (photos)

ok...I could have backed the crank up to get a slightly better alignment...but it looks fine overall\

car not running exactly as it should (see original post (GUYS.....I NEED HELP)

the only other thing I did was remove crank sensor to be sure it was not rusted in place for the future---it came out easy--I put some anti

seize on the sides of it--installed and wire put back

also the 2 cat wires unplug--they are in the way of removing pass side t belt cover

this is depressing

any ideas are needed

I looked for disconnected hose or wire and nothing

Pic 6 in next post..must have been too large a file

post-613-0-03997500-1380378409_thumb.jpg

post-613-0-39866100-1380378423_thumb.jpg

Edited by bgambino

Did you make the pink mark?  The other marks are white, and the white mark on the drivers side is not aligned?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "CAT" wires being in the way of removing valve covers?  I can't think of how the o2 sensor wires to the cat could be in the way of that?

At any rate the Crank is one tooth off of aligned in your "after photos with the blue belt. But the pass side and you say drivers are perfectly lined up. 

Definately one tooth off on the crank pulley.

Shouldn't the crank sprocket be aligned from the mark on the trigger wheel (or whatever it is called) rather than the front of the sprocket?

Some sprockets have a notch on front too.

You can tell by the way it's centered in relation to the curved ovals, and the lack of keyway in photo, that the sprocket is correct (keyway down is aligned w/marks)

But it's one tooth off to my eye.  That's not a Turbo belt is it???

Edited by Gloyale

no..not a turbo

haha,,,you still doubt the cat wire thing---I will take a photo

ok...in the morning...I will align the crank sprocket perfectly and see how the cam marks look

Its not a tooth off

if u put a straight edge on your screen it may be a maximum of 1/2 tooth off.......

I rally appreciate the help...!

are my symptoms typical of on tooth off?

I did not do the pink.,....and this is the first t belt job that we are aware of...she bought it with 69k and not has 105k

Edited by bgambino

You need to remove the guard so we can see the crank gear alignment mark on the back!

what do you mean....you can see the mark on the engine casing...look just above the guard

BTW....

1---what is the gap for the guard?

2--what is the crank pulley bolt torque spec./

Edited by bgambino

Crank is off, not really hard to do timing these things. That's one reason it's important to turn them over by hand a few times after the tensioner does its thing.

I completely understand the o2 sensor being in the way of the timing cover after the exhaust redesign on the 06 cars.

if the belt does not have marks on it - use a sharpie marker, or similar, and do the following...

With the belt in place - Make a mark on the belt that lines up with the mark on the crank sprocket.

Remove belt and count the specified number of teeth on the belt and make a mark for each cam sprocket.

This will help ensure that all sprockets are lined up correctly when reinstalling the belt.

note the mark locations shown in the diagram - crank sprocket mark should be in between the teeth on the belt....

directly from FSM for 07 Impreza (available here )...

Specified data:

Z1: 46.8 teeth

Z2: 43.7 teeth

me-00234.png

ok men......

there was nothing wrong.....

After opening it up...and checking all the marks...it was perfect

The reason I thought something was wrong is that I am not accustomed to how her throttle and acceleration are

Its different than my 96 OB and 02 GT

And, maybe there is an adjustment needed?

What I don't like about it is that there is too much (IMO) free play in the throttle peddle before the throttle increases

that's #1

#2-----when you rev it....and let go....it drops PAST the normal idle speed of ~700.....down to 200-250....and then recovers

You guys know anything about these 2 things?

You're talking about an '07 EJ25, right?  I know nothing about those "new-fangled" engines but it sounds like:

#1  The throttle cable needs adjusting (do they even have a cable?)

#2  The IACV may need a good cleaning.

Good luck!