Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have aquired a 99 outback Sport, so i found out its a Phase 2 and possilby Blown Engine, the guy doesnt know anything about subarus and never torn one apart so it sat for months.

if this Phase 2 2.2L is bad what are my options for engine replacement ?

i would like to install an EJ25 or 1995 EJ22 (dual port) 

i havent yet started the car to find out what noise it is making, i am asking ahead of time so i cant think it through.

Greatly Appreciate the Help

-John

post-17517-0-19886300-1380417124_thumb.jpg

post-17517-0-10394100-1380417231_thumb.jpg

Update: Engine is not blown, it was the bottom left imc pulley comepletley shaved out.

i have replaced it and the engine is running great i however had to remove the engine due to rear main seal leaking something fearce.

Video:

Video 2:

Soon to be Road Ready  :)

post-17517-0-28202500-1380883784_thumb.jpg

post-17517-0-23076700-1380883851_thumb.jpg

post-17517-0-63832200-1380883954_thumb.jpg

ok so now my impreza throws me a CEL

scanned it and got P0113 Intake air Temp Sensor 1 Circuit High Input

and Cylinder 1 & 3 Misfire

since i got it to run the idle hasnt been smooth, thinking it would eventually clear.

could the timing have something to do with it ? is the IAT causing this ?

however when climbing hills it doesnt skip a beat, and seems to have full power.

i can pull 1 & 3 wires while its running and the engien doesnt notcie its pulled as shown in this video

Edited by SubaruJawn

DO NOT pull those boots again. If that current touches you, I think it's high enough to be lethal (don't prove Darwin right buddy). Disconnect the battery for a few minutes (ENGINE OFF) and see if the code resets (assuming it's like other cars). If you get the code again, get a volt/ohm meter and see what the the readings are for the IAT. If there are out of spec, replace it. rockauto.com sells IAT sensors at reasonable prices, otherwise find one at a bone yard. As for the 1-3 misfire (assuming it isn't from pulling the boots) put new spark plugs and wires in, reset battery again, and see if it stops. If not, might need a new coil. Check the connections for the coil while you are at it (It's power connection). 

Edited by Bushwick

DO NOT pull those boots again. If that current touches you, I think it's high enough to be lethal (don't prove Darwin right buddy). Disconnect the battery for a few minutes (ENGINE OFF) and see if the code resets (assuming it's like other cars). If you get the code again, get a volt/ohm meter and see what the the readings are for the IAT. If there are out of spec, replace it. rockauto.com sells IAT sensors at reasonable prices, otherwise find one at a bone yard. As for the 1-3 misfire (assuming it isn't from pulling the boots) put new spark plugs and wires in, reset battery again, and see if it stops. If not, might need a new coil. Check the connections for the coil while you are at it (It's power connection). 

it has new plugs and wires, so it cannot be the wires i only pulled those wires to see if the coilpack is firing and it was, at the same time i recorded video of it. i have tried diconnectiing the battery for 30 min the code did indeed return. pulling the boots had nothign to do with the misfire.

• 4 weeks later...

ok its been awhile, he still runs great but not tip top, he doesnt quite idle like he should, at idle the engine rocks a bit and exhaust puht puhts.

my father sais i may not have the timing just right (wouldnt suprise me), its was hard to tell i thought i had it correct on this EJ222 where is the timing mark for the right side of the head ?

Also i'd like to make this engine Dual Port, is it possible ? EJ25 P2 Heads ? are there Phase 2 EJ22 Heads ? or should i just throw in a EJ25 P2 ?

thanks

-John

• 2 weeks later...

Put a dollar bill right up against the tail pipe, if it gets sucked into the exhaust you have a bent or suck valve.

You could also check your intake for leaks, get some stating fluid and spray around the intake and hoses.  If the RPM goes up, you've found your leak.