Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2" lift kit issues

GlenSz

in an effort to avoid getting sand up in everything while using a single lane access road that is deeply rutted out by the other larger vehicles that use it to get out to the beach from the main road, i ordered a 2" lift kit from Mike at WarMachine Lifts and Accessories http://subarugllifte...ts/show/2020636 but i only got the blocks for the front and the adjustable cylinders that can be set for a 2, 4 or 6 inch lift in the back. he's sending the two crossmember blocks that weren't in the first package in a few days.

put in the kit and think the 2 front blocks went in the wrong way (\\  //) so changed it (//   \\) and still had really bad wheel angles/super bad camber, tires were riding on the outside edge and handling was really squirley. 

also went and pulled some 15" pug alloys from a junkyard in Pennsylvania thanks to a tip on here (thanks @rrgrr!) and ordered and received a set of lugs made by @4X4brat (thanks Dan, got um in 2 days). thought the increased wheel height would straighten out the axles. they helped a little, but didn't nearly solve it.

if i knew, at all, what i was doing, i'd know what how to take care of this, but i'm an admitted novice, amongst some real experts here on the USMB. so once again, i'm trying to figure out what i can do to solve this situation.

if i need to take out the lift and just keep the pugs on (already got rid of the front mud flaps and cut some stuff outta the way so i don't get any rubbing), that's what i'll do, especially since 9 months outta the year, i'm almost strictly on the street, not doing any wheeling. sept-dec., i have a permit to drive on one particular beach to access my favorite fishing spot, which is why i got my Loyale in the first place....didn't want no SUV and got turned on to subies thanks mainly to the USMB. i know i'll have better handling and gas milage if i go back to my stock set-up, but already went to a lot of trouble to gain some height, so i'm not giving up yet. 

thanks for all advice and explanations...i know a lot more now thanks to everyone's generosity of info, but still an utter newbie. 

thanks again, 

Glen

here's a bunch of pics of the progress: 

http://s406.photobucket.com/user/GlenSzabo/library/2%20inch%20Lift%20kit%20and%2015%20inch%20Pugs

once the front cross member blocks are in it will ride and handle like stock. though it will hold to the road alot better with the bigger tires... plus have you ever been in a parking lot and had one of those pesky medians look at you funny? happens to me all the time.. so i just run them over. people look at you funny but its good fun.

that looks like more than a 2" lift but that may just be the pics.

Edited by AKghandi

I am also pretty green on this, hoping to see if alignment will correct the slight camber issue I have when I get it done next week. Didn't drop the crossmember, either and won't if I don't have to. I ran my stock wheels while I looked for wheels, and the outer front treads were worn out in a couple weeks. Tire proportions mean everything in terms of rubbing -what size are yours?

Here's a pic of one of my wagons 2" lift blocks no Xmember drop and 29" mud terrains. at a stand still the front has almost perfect camber. though when i accelerate i get camber like yours. \    /  been wearing the outside edge of the tires pretty badly.

img0010kug.jpg

img0009sx.jpg

Edited by AKghandi

It definitely helps to toe your tires out a bit after lifting. The camber is terrible on the cars to begin with, and slightly worse after lifting, even with camber correct blocks. But I've never had a huge issue with it. 

"toe my tires out"? not sure i understand what that means.

I am also pretty green on this, hoping to see if alignment will correct the slight camber issue I have when I get it done next week. Didn't drop the crossmember, either and won't if I don't have to. I ran my stock wheels while I looked for wheels, and the outer front treads were worn out in a couple weeks. Tire proportions mean everything in terms of rubbing -what size are yours?

i'm running 205/75/15's, hearing some rubbing but only when i drive it in reverse. 

Here's a pic of one of my wagons 2" lift blocks no Xmember drop and 29" mud terrains. at a stand still the front has almost perfect camber. though when i accelerate i get camber like yours. \    /  been wearing the outside edge of the tires pretty badly.

img0010kug.jpg

img0009sx.jpg

redrilled toyota's? you cut in the front of the back wells right to the edge of the backdoor? can't see in the pic. think i might go w/ that on mine where i got only about half in of clearance. 

redrilled toyota's? you cut in the front of the back wells right to the edge of the backdoor? can't see in the pic. think i might go w/ that on mine where i got only about half in of clearance. 

yeah they are redrilled toyotas, and as far as the clearance cutting i didnt cut any metal off. i cut a bunch of slits and hammered them inward. if you cut the fenders out it takes away some rigidity.

those are also 215/75/r15/ i had to pound the firewall in and the pinch weld over.

Edited by AKghandi

i'm running 205/75/15's, hearing some rubbing but only when i drive it in reverse. 

I have noticed just a touch of rubbing w/wheels cranked in reverse, it's on the front edge front wheel well -seems like the axle is coming forward a bit, esp downhill reversing. I am hunting for threads & tips on a slight fender rolling technique up there, if anyone has 'em handy. Just need to gain about an inch Neatly ;) TIA