Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rear diff weight and bolts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Looking at getting a 4.11 LSD diff from a forester and on my '97 Outback I assume it has male axles? And how do I remove these bolts? and the weight is around 60 lbs?

ttbn.jpg

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,834 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

I think all the rear diffs have male axles after 95.

I'd guess its closer to 40lbs, but still not easy to lift up into position if you're laying under the car.

The bolts on the back are just studs with a nut on the end. Remove the nut and slide the diff forward to slide the studs out of the bushings. Sometimes the whole thing comes out (bad on some models since you can't get it out because the floor pan is in the way).

#3 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

I think all the rear diffs have male axles after 95.

I'd guess its closer to 40lbs, but still not easy to lift up into position if you're laying under the car.

The bolts on the back are just studs with a nut on the end. Remove the nut and slide the diff forward to slide the studs out of the bushings. Sometimes the whole thing comes out (bad on some models since you can't get it out because the floor pan is in the way).

You see the rust on those bolts.. no way in the world they are coming off with the correct size socket... that's really my only concern. Also I have a transmission jack so getting the diff up or down is not a issue.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,834 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

I've seen worse. Most of the time you can't get to those with a socket anyway, have to use a box end wrench.
Soak them with your favorite flavor of penetrating oil for a few hours beforehand.

It'll be harder getting the rear suspension undone so you can pull the axles out than it will be to get those two nuts. I know there are some guards under the inner axle cups, I don't remember if they are easy to remove. Perhaps you can remove those and lower the diff and slide the axles out at the same time.

Edited by Fairtax4me, 29 September 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#5 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Just thinking about it I have some bolt extractor sockets.. what size are the nuts? I can try hitting it with some Kroil.

#6 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,339 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Weighed one of the old school 3.70 lsd units when I was selling it a few months back, 65lbs wet. not the heaviest thing in the world but definitely awkward to deal with on your back.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,900 posts
  • WV

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

if they're too rusted and it's a parts car i just torch the bushing out. makes me feel better about that stupid ($)*!$)&UT)*$!!!!  rust when i get to torch it too!

#8 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,339 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

Looking at that pic, that's under your outback isn't it?

If I'm not mistaken the diff mount nuts and bolts will all be 17mm, and the driveshaft to flange are 12mm. If those back ones don't play fair you could always try a trusty old pipe wrench on them. And lots and lots of pb blast or kroil.

#9 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

Looking at that pic, that's under your outback isn't it?

If I'm not mistaken the diff mount nuts and bolts will all be 17mm, and the driveshaft to flange are 12mm. If those back ones don't play fair you could always try a trusty old pipe wrench on them. And lots and lots of pb blast or kroil.

Yes it's the underside of my outback I think my irwin bolt-grip 11/16" socket is about 17mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users