Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

black burnt trans fluid. How long is it going to last?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 matt167

matt167

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

My mom has to borrow my Subaru tomorrow as she hit another deer with her car, and my grandparents needed theirs back. I decided to check the fluids and the trans fluid did not look quite right enough for me on the stick, so I decided to change the fluid ( did not touch filters ). I planned on doing the 3 time change when I did it. Anyway I just wanted to get some good fluid into it, and had 2 gallons of ATF so I figured it would be good enough.. Fluid came out black and burnt. The transmission shifted and ran fine, it wasn't malfunctioning or anything but now with a little over quarts of new fluid, it does have a bit crisper shift.. How long you think it might last?  The front diff is making noise and the trans will be replaced when the differential gets really noisy so it's not a big deal.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,728 posts
  • WV

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

if it was working fine before then my guess is the front diff will be far more problematic than the trans fluid.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,617 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

Black stuff in the ATF is friction material from the clutches.
Front diff noise may be cured by just changing the fluid as well.

#4 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,269 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

can't really say how long,

but what ever it was,

it is much longer now.

just make sure you have the right amount of fluid.

#5 matt167

matt167

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Yea, I think I checked the dipstick about 10 times to be sure. Both hot and after I let it sit and cool for a few mins.. When I dumped the old fluid back into the empty bottle, I found I put in almost exactly what came out.. That was after I had already checked the level 10 times.. Hopefully I can get 10k miles out of the whole transmission. If I can do that, i can postpone the trans swap until next spring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users