Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

franken motor shoping list.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bambammcd

Bambammcd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Red Lodge Mt

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:57 AM

Ok I'm try to put a shoping list togther  for my franken motor build. I'm planning on putting it in my 1991 Subaru loyale. here is what i have been able to figure out so far. 

ej25d

ej22e heads

delta 220 torque cams. 

cometic head gasket.

Im wondering what else ill need for the motor build, and also if all ej22e heads are single port or dual port. 

what ecu should i run? 

thanks for the help

Edited by Bambammcd, 30 September 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,297 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Use a complete ej22e as your donor, and throw the 2.5 block in between. preferrable a 95or 96 legacy with obd2 and dual port exhaust. 

Or use the engine from a 90-94 legacy, and use an obd2 intake and harness from any 95-99 legacy

#3 Bambammcd

Bambammcd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Red Lodge Mt

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Cool! So if i use the 2.2 from the 95-96 engine will that be sohc or dohc? Also which set up is preferred? 

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,297 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

The 95/96 should be mostly dual ports. 95 for sure, some 96 and 97 are single ports.

The dual port head is preferrable. The roller rocker cams in the single port heads are disireable. Putting the roller rocker cams in the dual port heads is the way to go for a torque cam. 

The obd2 harness would be the desired one (95-99) since you can use a code scanner with it. The obd2 intake meets all 2.2 phase 1 engines 90-98 legacy and thru 99 impreza.

#5 Bambammcd

Bambammcd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Red Lodge Mt

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

So probably the best route would be to find a wrecked 95-97 legacy with the dual port head and buying the hole thing so i have the harness, the engine and the ecu. then buying the 2.5 block and the roller rocker cams.

where the Imprezas' dual port as well? 

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,297 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

YOu will find dual pirts thru 96, the impreza is single port after 96/97 but kep tht eej22 thru 99 or maybe even 01. the legacy ent to 2.5 by 98 and 99. you will find 2.2's for later years with impreza.

#7 franklinstower

franklinstower

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • PNW

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

i disagree on the roller rocker cams.  I was at Delta last week with both the roller rocker cams and flat tappet cams.  Ken said I was limited to a 200 grind on the roller rocker cam, but I could get the 220 grind on the flat tappet cam.  The roller rocker cams are hardened and have a different profile, according to Delta.  They have to grind them much slower and cost an extra $40 for the pair to grind.  But regardless of the cost, he said using the flat tappet cam gives you a better profile.

For your 2.5 block, I would stay away from the '96 block unless you want even higher compression.  The '96 2.5 had a different piston shape with higher compression and was the only ph1 2.5 that required premium.

#8 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,207 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Every 96 ej22 I've ever seen has been single port.  And you don't want 99-01 ej22 heads, they are phase 2, larger chambered and will lower your compression when used on the ej25d(unless its a 96)

#9 Bambammcd

Bambammcd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Red Lodge Mt

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

how high of a compression would we be talking about with the 96 2.5? Premium around here is only at 91 octane.

#10 suprunner

suprunner

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • South Dakota

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

What problems would I run into using heads/exhaust/intake/ECU from a 1993 Legacy? Will timing be wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users