Ultimate Subaru Message Board

franken motor shoping list.

Bambammcd

Ok I'm try to put a shoping list togther  for my franken motor build. I'm planning on putting it in my 1991 Subaru loyale. here is what i have been able to figure out so far. 

ej25d

ej22e heads

delta 220 torque cams. 

cometic head gasket.

Im wondering what else ill need for the motor build, and also if all ej22e heads are single port or dual port. 

what ecu should i run? 

thanks for the help

Edited by Bambammcd

The 95/96 should be mostly dual ports. 95 for sure, some 96 and 97 are single ports.

The dual port head is preferrable. The roller rocker cams in the single port heads are disireable. Putting the roller rocker cams in the dual port heads is the way to go for a torque cam. 

The obd2 harness would be the desired one (95-99) since you can use a code scanner with it. The obd2 intake meets all 2.2 phase 1 engines 90-98 legacy and thru 99 impreza.

So probably the best route would be to find a wrecked 95-97 legacy with the dual port head and buying the hole thing so i have the harness, the engine and the ecu. then buying the 2.5 block and the roller rocker cams.

where the Imprezas' dual port as well? 

i disagree on the roller rocker cams.  I was at Delta last week with both the roller rocker cams and flat tappet cams.  Ken said I was limited to a 200 grind on the roller rocker cam, but I could get the 220 grind on the flat tappet cam.  The roller rocker cams are hardened and have a different profile, according to Delta.  They have to grind them much slower and cost an extra $40 for the pair to grind.  But regardless of the cost, he said using the flat tappet cam gives you a better profile.

For your 2.5 block, I would stay away from the '96 block unless you want even higher compression.  The '96 2.5 had a different piston shape with higher compression and was the only ph1 2.5 that required premium.

• 7 months later...